2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewred View Post
I hope I can join you all here? I've not done this but need to desperately. I want to use only stash and use it for gifts instead of buying gifts every year. I'm always afraid that the gift recipients won't want " just a homemade gift"? Have you ever been there? I am always talking myself out of it though I want to do this so bad! Also I have a lot of polyester knit that was gifted to me from a friend who is cleaning out her stuff. I also have some scraps of sheepskin wool that I want to make into something am thinking hard about what. It is super soft! My husband's an upholsterer and I get lots of scraps and leftovers which I love!
My family loves the "homemade" gifts I give them. This year for Christmas I did three quilts (king, queen and full) all from scraps. I love being able to give gifts without buying anything. Well, I bought the fabric, but it has been in my stash for so long it doesn't feel like I bought it! If I had to go to the malls at Christmas time, or anytime, I don't think I would be giving much for gifts. Hate the crowds.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:46 PM

It's the 3rd, and I haven't bought anything all year!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 PM

Sewred.. you said " Also I have a lot of polyester knit that was gifted to me from a friend who is cleaning out her stuff. I also have some scraps of sheepskin wool that I want to make into something am thinking hard about what. It is super soft! My husband's an upholsterer and I get lots of scraps and leftovers which I love!" I know that the poly knit was popular way back for quilts. They last forever, if I remember correctly. If you think of a good idea for the sheepskin wool..please pass it on. I had something donated to me that looks a lot like that. I am not sure if what I have is that but the lady who donated it used it to line men's vests. I have no idea how to use it so very much open for suggestions.
AngeliaNR..I loved your comment! As for me and the fabric moratorium, I know I am going to have to buy some black. I want to make some string quilts and need the black for the sashing and the center piece for the blocks. I have no black in my stash so I am not counting that purchase as a mark against me. LOL!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
What an inspiration! LOL!

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-03-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM

I am stash busting this year! Need a new baby quilt in a month, picked this one from Moda Bakeshop: [ATTACH=CONFIG]504630[/ATTACH]

Shopped my stash first and found these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504631[/ATTACH]

Also, I'll be limiting myself to $25 of new purchases per month, including books/patterns, and backing or background fabric. Previous month's excess will roll over into the next month, in case I find the need to make a large purchase at some point.
Attached Thumbnails sophiecarseatmodabakeshop.jpg   0103151002.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Yes, it is the third of the month and I, like AngeliaNR, have not purchased anything all year. I do, however, have a check book size 2015 weekly planner. I will record any purchases and the reason for such purchases. I want to have some tops quilted and need to save up to pay the woman who does the long arming. Thanks for starting this again!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

I'm in! Being a part of this really keeps me mindful. I am also cutting back on notions. So only thread, needles, batting and basic supplies to be purchased this year. Have 3 UFO's to finish and a lot of "quilts I really want to make". Today I'm unpicking an XL man's shirt (batik with really cool elephants on it) to make into a baby quilt and will only be using stash to finish it. Laid up with a dodgy SI joint, so that will keep me focused. Stay strong people!

Last edited by earthwalker; 01-03-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

Nice little quilt kaelyn. What are you planning to do with the blues/purples?
I like your $value per month goal. Was tickled I stayed below last year's budget, so lowered $ amount for 2015, too.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:08 AM

Think I'll jump on board with this as I'm trying to get a credit card bill paid off this year. I keep telling myself "this year", "this year" but it never happens as life gets in the way and have to add to the bill. I live on a set income now so with house repairs, etc. I never seem to get ahead. I normally look thru my stash before going to the fabric store so that will be easy for me anyway. What I've been doing for the past couple of quilts is use the leftovers for the next quilt in line. Wasn't able to do it on the bargello I'm working on now so they're still hanging on the hanger waiting to be used but they are always in my sight for another quilt. The scraps from a Bonnie Hunter bricks and stones quilt are piled up for another quilt pattern I have lying on the end of my cutting table.

So far I haven't bought any new fabric for 6 weeks so that's a good start for me. I also find if I delete all the emails I know have fabric sales on them, I won't be tempted to buy. It was hard during the holiday season with all my favorite online stores having their sales but I prevailed...............YEAH for me!!!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 AM

I was pretty successful in 2014, and hope to continue in 2015. I knew I would be near Mary Jo's in Gastonia about a year ago, so I stopped and bought the material for a quilt I have been wanting to make - still have not made it, but it is on the list for this year. All the quilts/projects I made in 2014 came from my stash. I only needed to buy one small piece of material to complete one project.