2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 AM

I will not shop for more fabric. I will not shop for more fabric. (say this fifty times ladies) if it works for you your amazing. I tend to have to always go get more white on white fabric. how I run out of this ALL the time I have no idea! lol oh wait! I use it often grin.. I am using tons of gifts from others also. It gets harder and harder to do. I want so many new things that I stopped looking. Temptation is not good. just a little bit right? ugh. I have trouble with that. OK when you accidentally (grin again) go off the wagon for a few moments what is with walking into a store picking a few little things and then ringing up and finding out its 70 or 100.00 and it fits in a small plastic bag! I almost croaked when this happened last time. Really? peaking in bag again. yup not much in there yet .. darn it is killer at the registar. This alone is reason enough for me to use what I have. Ok some stuff is on sale? you buy more. therefore not saving much if you have to spend so much. I hope that I have the strength to not buy just one more thing. hah. like that would happen!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 AM

Brat: We totally understand, just climb up on the wagon and sit down with us. We are all trying, some with a great deal more success than others. I will not share with you some of the sites I know about that have quality fabric for under $5 per yard.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 AM

Well so far on my shopping list is batting and backing for the sampler we made in class. A panel and striped material for the miter and binding class. and batting and backing for the stained glass butterfly but that's farther off. Then some fabric for the Mt. Fuji side panels for the bay window quilts. That should keep me going.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Patting myself on the back: My husband showed me a garage sale listing last night (started this am), said 'lots of quilting fabric'. I didn't go, but it's killing me!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 AM

I just got into quilting a couple of months ago, and already I see the need to curtail my fabric spending. Hard to do when you work at a fabric store! I've made a deal with myself that if I finish some projects first and stop spending $10 here and there on remnants (pretty, cheap, tempting!), I'll splurge on something nice for my next big project.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM

My goodness things happen here when I take a short break. Spent some time at my new home, and I can honestly say that semi moving helps to deter fabric buying. You will be happy for no details on this one.

TammyK: any luck on the dryer sheet incident? Hope all turned out well for you.

I noticed some big additions:
OK: A brand new baby grand daughter, how wonderful love those tiny precious arrivals, also reasons for new fabric. None of us would object on this!

Emma: How's the new Janome relationship? Are you just loving it? I would be. Also, I'm very curious about the hidden story by the pool.

Paper Princess: loved your new quilt and want to know how you passed up on a garage sale! And thanks for the sacrifice, it does work to keep things interesting.

Sandy: I like your thinking on the cost evaluation of LA's and stash. Perspective is important. Right?.

The quilt show I'm going to is a Home Machine Quilting Show. Lots of LA's to check out. Maybe it'll quite the quest I have for a LA or maybe it'll start a fire.
There is a lot of pioneer heritage in Utah and a good base of quilters. I toured a museum in SLC last year with my mom and sisters and many, many old quilts were on display. I was the only one interested in them and could of spent an entire day there. (Don't remember the name of the place). I found it very informative and quite wonderful. It's hard to imagine how all that intricate work was done by hand.

I can't remember who said what, but there was something about planting season and I remember well growing up on a farm and how we all fixed meals and took them to the field, lots of work. Someone bought 10 yards but refrained from more and refreshed the stash. So understandable!! Refrained and refreshed..kind of like that.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Have done really really good so far this year . Very few purchases! Gave away 2 bags of fabric to a coworker yesterday... But plan on going to SLC to quilt show and I know there will be HUGE temptation. Will try to be strong but hopeful that I will see things that I can't get here at home...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:33 AM

Rhonda: My Janome hasn't arrived yet. It should be here today or Monday. So tempted to call the dealer and ask for a tracking number. Never have been good at waiting, never could sleep on Xmas Eve.
The great pool story is kind of a non-story. In the early 60's I wore one of those bouffant hair styles that were very high maintenance. The death knell to the hair was the comment "I don't want to get my hair wet." For some unknown reason every teenage boy within a quarter mile radius took this as a personal challenge. I figure back at the dawn of time it must have provided some kind of survival advantage. Anyway, what immediately popped into my mind when Martina was seeking to keep her stabilizer dry was, "Don't take it to the pool". I know kind of wonky, maybe its the fumes from all the hair Aquanet I used in the 60's.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Have done really really good so far this year . Very few purchases! Gave away 2 bags of fabric to a coworker yesterday... But plan on going to SLC to quilt show and I know there will be HUGE temptation. Will try to be strong but hopeful that I will see things that I can't get here at home...
Fizzle, What day are you going to attend, or will it be all 3 days? I can only go on Thursday the 7th, have company coming on the 8th and a wedding on the 9th. (a granddaughter) I keep thinking no way can I be having grandkids in the marriageable age! Another granddaughter was married a year ago! Time. It's such a sneak!

If you are there on the 7th maybe we could get together?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Emma, Aquanet! Does that ever take me back. I so relate with the hair and the pool. Thanks for the morning chuckle.
I think I'd get a tracking number on your Janome too. It would help with piece of mind. That's how I was when I'd ordered my Koala furniture. So excited, I'd waited for many years to get something so nice. No more card tables and kitchen sewing. How did you decide on a Janome? I've heard a lot of good reviews about them.