Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-07-2015, 05:39 AM

SuzieSew, I AM in the school closing zone! All of the public schools are closed today, Jan 7, but I teach at a Western Michigan University and we are tough beings who seldom close our doors. Actually, the semester does not start until Monday and faculty are all here getting ready for the "spring" semester. Ah..... next week a snow day would be grand. Sewing, sewing, sewing. Last year the university was closed 3 days, oh so rare, and I got three tops pieced. It was such fun to just drink hot cocoa and sew all day long and not leave the machine except to toss another log on the fire.

I drive through Middlebury often on my way to visit family near Indy. I'll wave next time I pass through town.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Omg what a beautiful quilt...and love your cat took...we had a black cat b the name of Toby - he had a nice long life of just over 16 years. . We now have a lovely little girl Stella who is 8.

Judy in PHx, AZ
Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Beautiful quilt Sandy, and I know what you mean by animals always having to be on your quilts, blankets, pillows, or whatever.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
SuzieSew, I AM in the school closing zone! All of the public schools are closed today, Jan 7, but I teach at a Western Michigan University and we are tough beings who seldom close our doors. Actually, the semester does not start until Monday and faculty are all here getting ready for the "spring" semester. Ah..... next week a snow day would be grand. Sewing, sewing, sewing. Last year the university was closed 3 days, oh so rare, and I got three tops pieced. It was such fun to just drink hot cocoa and sew all day long and not leave the machine except to toss another log on the fire.

I drive through Middlebury often on my way to visit family near Indy. I'll wave next time I pass through town.
Well next time don't just wave, we'll have to meet for lunch and visit the quilt shop at the Essenhaus!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:59 PM

I finished 4 baby tops over the weekend. The tops were pieced by different volunteers and I added a pre quilted double sided fabric for the batting/backing. I wish I had more of that kind of material because it's easy to use since the batting is already between the two layers. Now other volunteers will tie them.

These have been hiding in a couple of drawers since last summer. I still have several more to finish.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-08-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I'm in! I set the bar so low in 2014, no finishes, that I know I can at least surpass that record.
I can understand where you are coming from in your comment. I think I only completed one UFO project last year. I made several projects, but did not complete many UFO's. I think I can beat my record of last year. But I'm going to raise my goal # to 12. I'm going to try to complete 1 UFO a month, completing the 1st project by the end of February. That lovely motorcycle quilt I have been putting off for over 6 months to start. The issue being, I debating how to quilt it on my long arm. I want to do it in motorcycle pattern and free motion with my long arm. Anyway I'm in again this year. I will post when I have projects completed. Anyway, happy sewing and quilting everyone.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
I have completed 5 UFOs. Of course, they're just 10 minute table runners but they're finished.
Congratulations!!!! They all look lovely.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:36 AM

Happy: I am actually shooting for at least one a month. The best I've ever done was the 2013 challenge, I finished six queen sized quilts. That was a good year.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:14 PM

Wow! Emma...6 in one year. Ha! I am really lucky if I get two done a year. And yet i see people on this board who do about 6 or more a month. I think they must not have a spouse or else they have someone to do the housework. :-) Dang! Stuff like that always gets in the way of quilting...and then there are meals..! Now off from here I go to grab a few minutes of quilting time.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 PM

I was all set to finish my first ufo this weekend till I took a machine quilting class yesterday. My machine sounded so loud compared to all the other machines that I left it to be tuned up. Keep up the good work everyone.

I hope to get a number of things done this year. Both boys are out of the house, we are not taking our yearly vacation until the end of Octobef and I retire(yeah!!!!!!) at the end of June after teaching math at the high school level for 38years.