Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Sandy: Remember these were UFO's that by and large I had put aside at the latter stages, mainly putting that last border on the flimsy. Now I have seven queen size quilts that are finished, sandwiched and waiting to be quilted. So if I just get focused it won't be difficult to get them done in a month. I am one of those widowed people that can pretty much quilt as I want and, sadly, clean house when I want. Trouble is I don't want to as often as I should. Today I actually had to bar myself from the sewing room to clean. The house looks nice but this no responsibilities thing takes discipline.
Donac: Sounds like a great year ahead. Hats off to all teachers, but especially on the high school level, all those raging hormones and high spirits, it takes a special person. Your going to love retirement, although it took me a while to break some of the mind sets that came from having to be at a certain place at a certain time five days a week. Hope you get your machine back soon, without too many withdrawal symptoms.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 PM
DJ

I'm impressed with all the accomplishments being made! Lovely work, ladies (and gents?).

I finally made time to work on my major UFO (a king size quilt for DD). I got 1/3 of the 42 bear appliques heat-and-bonded and cut out. My hand isn't going to be able to do any more of that kind of cutting tonight, so I'll save the rest and hopefully be able to get them cut out tomorrow. Then I will cut the backing blocks and apply the bears. The bear blocks will alternate with bear claw blocks, so at some point I'll be chain piecing those (all the fabric is cut).

Last edited by DJ; 01-11-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 AM

I finished my most recent UFO completion the day after Christmas. And almost immediately started a new project.

My goal this year is to complete whatever new projects I begin (ie. not create any more UFOs) and sneak in a stray UFO completion as often as possible.

I get projects to the completed top stage and set them aside. But the quilting itself is for some reason rather daunting to me and I don't get the same excitement out of it that I do from the piecing. And I'm too much of a cheapskate to get someone else to do it for me!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

mom-6--I fully understand what you are saying. I'm more excited about the patchwork and the interplay of the fabric. My FMQ are limited..I'm learning to like the straight line stitching :-)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 AM

Count me in. Although I did not officially join this last year, I did make it a priority. I actually completed 5 UFO's last year (some of which had been sitting around for 10 years) -and 2 brand new ones. I still have a number of quilt tops that are finished but not quilted - or tops that are started. I need to finish more this year.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 AM

Ta-DA and hip-hip hoorah! I finished my first UFO of 2015. Picture later..... OK not that big of a deal, just finishing the binding on a lap quilt, but it is now ready to find an home. My next challenge is to choose the next UFO to finish. Pulled out two and one needs to be layered so with limited space to lay out a larger utility quilt, I'll wait until my guild work day for that project. MMMM I do have a small hand quilted piece that needs just a little more quilting then, BAM the binding. Or.... my giant quilt that just came back from the long-armer. OR.... or... OR... or So many choices, so little time. Happy winter quilting all! It was -1 when I pulled into work this morning in Kalamazoo. That is the perfect temperature to sit with a quilt on your lap and bind, hand quilt or peruse books and magazines for new projects!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Default Didn't want you all to think I wasn't working on my UFOs....

Update on my UFO progress ... I've been quilting this baby quilt using my walking foot. This quilt is very heavy because of the dimensional pinwheels.I used 5 inch squares for the pinwheels. Also added lots of photos to the back side by just topstitching them onto the back. More added weight. I didn't realize how heavy it would make the quilt, but I can't turn back now. It's taking me longer to quilt than I had hoped. Do a little each day.
Attached Thumbnails img_0891.jpg   img_0892.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Default 2 done!

Ok...here are my first two finishes. I know they aren't quilts but they are done![ATTACH=CONFIG]505983[/ATTACH]

Sorry, the picture of the woven bag failed to upload, tried several times.

Oh good gravy....how do I make the picture smaller....it is gigantic!
Attached Thumbnails dsc00247.jpg  

Last edited by Marich52; 01-13-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add text
Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 PM

My lqs is holding a drawing. You enter it by finishing 4 ufo's from Feb to May.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:38 PM

Wow, people are busy. Haven't completed any UFO's but did complete the Bonnie Hunter flimsy, pieced the back and made the binding so at least I'm making some progress.
Weasier: That quilt is amazing. I made a baby quilt for a friend and it turned out very heavy and not as soft as I had hoped. It was used as a "tummy time quilt" and it worked out really well. Those 3D windmills will be great for little fingers to explore. I will be making a baby quilt in the near future, and I think I will use a fluffier batt with less quilting.
WMut: Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Marich: I love it when people post big, makes it so much easier to see the detail. Love your dragon fly. Such beautiful work. Can you go into a little bit of detail on how you did it? What kind of applique method did you use? I am new to applique but love the art.