Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 AM

I am jumping on board a little late. Just found this great forum and I badly need it to get some projects finished. One quilt dates back 20+ years. Yikes! But most are a bit more recent than that. I get hung up on the quilting, put them away and say.....soon I will quilt you. But, that never seems to happen. I machine quilt smaller ones but the process has always been hard for me. I take large ones to long arm quilters. In between I do many, many small projects. I seem to get those finished pretty fast. My first UFO will be a Christmas tree skirt that has never seen Christmas. Then, on to a baby quilt.
BTW.....I Love all the already finished ones for 2015. Congrats, everyone. They are awesome.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Three more UFOs finished, the first one is a TenMinute table runner and mug rug a gift started in 2012. The 2nd one is a machine embroidered Christmas wall hanging I started for our daughter 2 years ago. The last one is a quilt block made in school by our DGD when she was in first grade. I decided to make a wall hanging for her new bedroom, she is 13 years old.
Attached Thumbnails 024.jpg   022.jpg   018.jpg  
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Dragonfly Pattern

Here is the info for those who were interested:
Dragonfly Dance by Dione Roberts available online at Paisley Penguin Patterns.

Love those coffee mugs GramQuilter2....I haven't seen that pattern before.

Marilyn
Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Nice job Gramquilter, and I am sure you DGD will love what you did with her block.

Marich52, thanks for the name of the pattern.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM

I am making progress on my first UFO for 2015.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 PM

Love seeing all the latest finishes. The wall hanging for your DGD of her early art work will be a treasure in years to come. For me, a ufo is anything I have begun and not finished plus...all the partially finished projects that a quilting friend send me because she is tired of them. You can see why I will NEVER be done. Then my quilt guild usually has project to be worked on so I don't get a ufo finished very often. And if that isn't enough, I start something else. Someone gave me a brand new very nice heavy-duty t-shirt but it had a logo on front and larger logo on back. Neither was something I wanted to walk around wearing so I added orphan quilt blocks to cover them up. So that was my finish for today. But it meant that I got to spend some time sewing and that makes for a good day. Plus I have a shirt to wear for everyday that now sports a little sheep block on front and a large cat block on back! :-) Will make people stop and ask me about them, I imagine. LOL!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Hey SANDY! I have several ufos that I would love to finish. I finished up 5 last year twin sized quilts which was super for me. I unfortunately do not have an empty bin! I have a table topper that I would like to add too. I have a quilt that definitely needs finishing. I have to large throws that need finishing. see I do have things in visual range but have I don't them? do I keep starting new things? YES I DO. what is it with that? the real problem for me is I don't quilt. I make quilt tops. my quilting skills have gone to hell so I now keep myself to just making the tops. I am so fortunate to have quilting friends who have been kind enough to quilt for me. I cant say enough how much that means to me I am determined to finish up those ufo's and will post pictures as I go! I need to stay away from making new things. sigh. no way. I have fabric that needs stuff made with it. It talks to me all the time use me use me!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Only one of these counts as a UFO because the t-shirt (see post # 126) was a start and finish the same day project. But the sweatshirt/jacket, I received at least 5 years ago, from a friend in a state of partial completion! She had included the sweatshirt sleeves but not the fabric for them. Back and front were sewn together with binding only on parts. I finished binding the neckline and one side of front. Then used brown bias tape for sleeves. It is a vest now and since I do not wear vests, it will get donated to the senior citizens center thrift shop here in town. Including pics of front and back of t-shirt. The business logo was a bit risque for my taste to wear in public. :-) So that is how I have spent my few quilting hours in past two days. I used heat n bond ---just a little to make pieces stay in place until I could get them sewn on.
Attached Thumbnails 1-16a-large-.jpg   1-16b-large-.jpg   1-16c-large-.jpg   1-16d-large-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
I never work on something from start to finish but hop around like an excited puppy from project to project. They are always new and interesting or they stay in their box on the shelf until they become that way again.
This description is too too funny!

...It is how I work, too.

I have a friend who also quilts who comes over a couple times a week. She doesn't understand why I don't stick with one project & get it done. (done, done)

You've explained it better than I ever could.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by weasier22 View Post
Update on my UFO progress ... I've been quilting this baby quilt using my walking foot. This quilt is very heavy because of the dimensional pinwheels.I used 5 inch squares for the pinwheels. Also added lots of photos to the back side by just topstitching them onto the back. More added weight. I didn't realize how heavy it would make the quilt, but I can't turn back now. It's taking me longer to quilt than I had hoped. Do a little each day.
I love your quilt! I made this same one for my daughter before she was born. It's cool to see another's colors and quilting. : ) Great job!