2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-09-2016, 07:40 AM

i'm feeling pretty good having passed up the quilting shop several times when I went into town. But i'm sure my day is coming.

So I'm putting down the tailgate and ladder so you all can climb aboard again.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

The four on the right are backings. The blue one on the far right was a gift and goes with a project I have started. The batiks are for the swirls center (borders, backing, and binding). The blue is binding for my mom's quilt. The day of the dead is a new project that requires a large-scale print and I didn't have any. So once I break it down, the damage really isn't so bad.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM

excellent, they are all planned projects. No stash building really.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

While shopping for backing to finish a table mat, I succumbed to a pretty piece from Holly Taylor's new winter line....I stopped at 1 1/2 yards.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

I haven't bought fabric since just before Memorial Day, and I don't think I will again until maybe my birthday this fall. Being broke helps! So does cleaning out my armoire to reorganize it. I'm using the bottom drawers for linens, socks, etc., but the top part will hold my machines. I've pulled out four packages of batting and several sacks of fabric: some are WIPs, but a lot of it is yardage for backgrounds or backing. Most of the bags still had receipts, so I know how much yardage is there and how much I spent. Sure, I scored some good deals...but since then I've lost interest or changed my mind about whatever projects they were destined for. And some of that fabric has been sitting in the bag with a receipt for over a year!

On the upside, I've got plenty of material to play with during my moratorium. I can take a break from all the window shopping and learn to appreciate what I have. The guilt I feel over accumulating so much puts a damper on that kind of free-wheeling creative energy I used to feel when I started quilting. All the stuff has started to get in the way of me being able to actually sew, so it's high time to clean up and reorganize.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
IAnd some of that fabric has been sitting in the bag with a receipt for over a year!

On the upside, I've got plenty of material to play with during my moratorium. I can take a break from all the window shopping and learn to appreciate what I have. The guilt I feel over accumulating so much puts a damper on that kind of free-wheeling creative energy I used to feel when I started quilting. All the stuff has started to get in the way of me being able to actually sew, so it's high time to clean up and reorganize.
I bet you I could beat that receipt by a decade or so. lol

Now I do understand the other though. You need to do what makes you happy (and creative) and what works for you. Right now, my sewing room looks like a bomb got dropped in the middle of it. I have 8 envelopes with fabric that I am supposed to turn into blocks. There is no way I can even open the envelopes for fear of losing the fabric (or losing track what belongs to whom). Time to clean and organize.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

One of the things that's been holding me back from using stash is time...helps with the buying or lack of it though...found a couple of hours of free time this morning...may go and make use of it....
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I just finished the self-mitered log cabin center. Not sure yet what I will do about borders. Thanks to my friends who shared their strips. The name of this quilt will be "Upcycled Logs"
Attached Thumbnails img_0695.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Mad quilter, I love the self mitered log cabin top. Beautiful top! Where did you get the pattern? I like log cabin patterns.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:41 PM

MadQuilter, that is so gorgeous! The way the colors are arranged, it looks like a rippling pool of rainbow water. Inspiring!