2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Good job, happylab.....that's a classic pattern as far as I'm concerned....

I got a top finished today too....a log cabin style but square starts in the corner instead of the center...cut with 2.5" cuts it goes together quite fast...also from scraps mostly from my 2.5" bin...borders from stash as well...getting ready to glue baste it now...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 PM

ok, after joining this moratorium and coming close to finishing one king size scrap quilt and joining 2 quilt groups on this board to help use up my stash to make 2 more scrap quilts, I fell off the wagon today and bought a whole box of fossil fern fat quarters (90 of them) in one box (one for every color). Yep , I could not resist....they were $$1.28 /qtr (or $5.11/yd). I promise to give some away to my scrap groups. but it was so easy to hit the checkout button.....and they are oh so pretty.....Its a sickness I tell you....Pray for me....
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM

So, as punishment, its back to the crumbs I go. Owsewglad wanted to see my crumb blocks, I need 280 of them, I have 265 made, so here they are:

alternating with a snow ball (I need 280 of these, I have about 50 made):
Old 08-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Power Poster

Oh I like the alternating block...what size? FYI...I've used a couple of your crumb fabrics myself....I find when working with crumbs I can sew for quite a while and then bam, I can't stand to do another one for a while...I do like the freedom of not matching seams though...Thanks for posting, JaneQ....
Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Happylab, great quilt! I've always liked that pattern!
Jane, I am loving your scrap quilt! Are all the alternate (snoball) squares the same sort of log cabin with white? I would also like to know the block size.
I also have a confession. After being pretty good at the show, I stopped by my LQS. All their markdown fabric was 3.99, and they had a 25% off sale!!!!!! I didn't even know. Name brand fabric. $3. I only spent about $20. Sounds better than saying I bought 7 yards ;-), although 4 yards is for a specific project.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 08-19-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 AM

JaneQuilter thanks for the chuckle. Needed after my falls this month. Lovely blocks. PaperPrincess that price is just too good - doubt I could have resisted either. Of course I struggled to resist at $5 a yard.

Happylab wonderful quilt top and a great way to use scraps.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:20 PM

Happylab and Jane Quilter: thanks for sharing pictures. Nice quilt top Happylab and nice crumb blocks Jane Quilter.

Oksewglad: I can only sew so many crumb blocks before I say enough also. Right now, I am sewing strips onto a couple of different sizes of fabric and I know I will get to a point even with these and say Enough. Lol!

I have been using my stash to make some quilt tops for charity. I also spent time over the last several days and made 9 ready-to-sew baby quilt kits and one twin-sized quilt top kit. It took a long time to pull together fabric for the scrappies and to cut it but it will be nice to pull out a bag and just start sewing.

Well, I better finish cleaning off my cutting tables so I can pull out some fleece and prep it for making tied fleece blankets.

Connie
Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM

I can't find the link but the five yard quilt by Mill end textiles uses 5 one yard fabrics that can make up a really cute quilt with one focus fabric.

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I started going through my stash and trying to coordinate 3 to 5 fabrics and put together ideas to help me reduce my inventory...I have been pinning ideas...I like this one and have made it a little bigger in EQ...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t273007.html

Any more ideas....I want to use yardage in quick quilts...Warm Wishes is also a good pattern, as are rail fences....?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Happylab, great quilt! I've always liked that pattern!
Jane, I am loving your scrap quilt! Are all the alternate (snoball) squares the same sort of log cabin with white? I would also like to know the block size.
I also have a confession. After being pretty good at the show, I stopped by my LQS. All their markdown fabric was 3.99, and they had a 25% off sale!!!!!! I didn't even know. Name brand fabric. $3. I only spent about $20. Sounds better than saying I bought 7 yards ;-), although 4 yards is for a specific project.
Finished block size for crumb block is 4.5 inches, the alternating block was changed from this log cabin to a "twist" found at quilters cache ..... http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TwistBlock.html ....I liked hwere the seams layed better than the log cabin.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 AM

Ok, now side-tracked on the crumb quilt.....because I ruined my king size scrap quilt. You can see my trauma and fix attempts on another thread. No rest for the weary.