2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-28-2016, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=tkhooper;7448822]grrrrh, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I'm still new to making quilts and I don't have an eye or a head for the process yet. So I have bought 3 different fabrics for the cornerstones on my sashing. The first and second times buying way more fabric than needed. And I had to buy the sashing fabric twice because that wasn't right. Then I bought a border fabric that I didn't need for the size of quilt I was making.

I did something similar last month. I went to Joann's to buy binding fabric for my 81" x 81" quilt after doing the math to determine how much fabric I would need to buy. I brought the quilt with me to help keep me focussed on the task at hand and away from all those distracting fabrics that I don't need, but are so luscious. I managed to whittle down the possibilities to two fabrics and then I couldn't decide which I liked better. I thought maybe I could use some of each in a scrappy binding, but then again, I might not like that, so it would be nice to have enough of at least one of them to bind the whole quilt, just in case, you know. In the end I decided to get enough of each to bind the quilt since I had two coupons, I figured it would only be a teensy little fall off the wagon and it was the end of 2015 anyway, so really, not a big deal, right? I proceeded to buy 2 1/2 yards of each fabric-- oops, don't know what I was thinking, since I only needed 1/2 yard of one for the binding--I decided it was probably a senior moment or perhaps a small brain fart, DH says he thinks it was a freudian slip....

Rob
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=rryder;7448956]
Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
I decided it was probably a senior moment or perhaps a small brain fart, DH says he thinks it was a freudian slip....

Rob
hahaha, I hate to tell you but it was neither. Welcome to the club of fabricoholics. If you hang around long enough you will be amazed at the rationales and excuses - I mean REASONS - for jumping off the wagon. We are all good at that.

Since you are relatively new to quilting and it sounds like you don't have a large stash (yet), it is understandable that you may have to get a few different fabrics to decide later. Just make sure to use the left-overs in a different project later.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

we all need a scapegoat...senior moment, really
Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Tkhooper and Rryder: I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. I blamed it on being tired. . I bought WAY too much fabric for a background project times 3 choices! The worst part is that I also miscalculated my flannel for baby receiving blankets and burp cloths so I had to go back and buy more flannel..

Connie
Old 01-29-2016, 04:13 AM

There are some fabric traps out there for the unwary, so I'm learning. I even bought that very expensive little booklet about how to estimate the amount of fabric that is needed. I just haven't figured out how to use it.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 AM

Give me strength! Connecting Threads keeps sending me emails and I am in love with one of the batik fabric lines. Most of it is on clearance right now and I NEED to get it while it's on sale. Never mind I have so much fabric I'm ashamed of myself already. I will be strong, I will. I deleted the email as soon as I saw what was in it to remove the temptation, but...
Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by johnette View Post
Give me strength! Connecting Threads keeps sending me emails and I am in love with one of the batik fabric lines. Most of it is on clearance right now and I NEED to get it while it's on sale. Never mind I have so much fabric I'm ashamed of myself already. I will be strong, I will. I deleted the email as soon as I saw what was in it to remove the temptation, but...
I fell prey to one of their specials last year. TOTALLY understand. Sometimes it's OK to be a rebel....just saying.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 PM

In answer to the question "what do you do with the fabrics you no longer want?", I have more or less adopted a woman who has coordinated a group of sewers that are making "pillowcase" dresses for little girls that are then sent to third world countries. They also make shorts for little boys. They can take the ugliest fabric and make it into an adorable dress by adding a contrast pocket, or some fun trim or buttons, etc. That's where my "what was I thinking" fabric goes and many of my friends give me fabric to bring to her as well. It makes it much easier for me to let it go when I know it's going to be used for a good purpose.

Last edited by poconel; 01-29-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by poconel View Post
In answer to the question "what do you do with the fabrics you no longer want?", I have more or less adopted a woman who has coordinated a group of sewers that are making "pillowcase" dresses for little girls that are then sent to third world countries. They also make shorts for little boys. They can take the ugliest fabric and make it into an adorable dress by adding a contrast pocket, or some fun trim or buttons, etc. That's where my "what was I thinking" fabric goes and many of my friends give me fabric to bring to her as well. It makes it much easier for me to let it go when I know it's going to be used for a good purpose.
Wonderful way to use up fabric that will never become a quilt.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to audition fabric without great cost. How do you do it?
Old 01-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I ordered the Jinny Beyer Portable Palette which came in the mail yesterday. I am looking forward to having it help me select fabrics (colors) faster and better.