2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
OK. I bought some fabric yesterday. I made a throw with zillions of pieces & showed it to a friend over Christmas. She didn't say much about the top, but swooned over the backing. It was an Asian print I bought years ago. My friend is battling cancer (recurrent) so I wanted to make her a throw. I googled 'Hoffman fabric cranes' and came up with anything but that fabric. I've been cleaning and found a scrap with the printed selvedge. Found some on etsy. Why is this a moratorium issue? I need 1.25 yards for the pattern, but ordered 2.5
I think you are right on track. This is such a kind thing you are doing. And for such a good cause. No wagon fall for you my dear. A pat on the back perhaps.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Missouri Quilt Co. has free shipping today. My husband told me to get something. I went upstairs and stared at my stash and closed the website. I am trying to be good. It is hard.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 PM

I think I've found a way to participate in the fabric moratorium this year. I'll just stop buying for new projects. Buying something like background or backing fabric for a project "kit" I've already got would be okay. I've got enough fabric for about a dozen quilt tops. I've noticed myself getting a bit obsessive with checking daily deals across a few online quilt stores. I like the idea of getting pretty things for a deal and looking forward to a new package in the mail. On the bright side, I've emptied out at least a handful of carts after giving myself a day or so to think about it. I need to stop checking those sites every day.

I've been working on a lap-sized quilt kit I bought last year after a few months of not sewing a single stitch. I made a firm pressing board out of a 24" square of plywood, some batting, and canvas. This has made ironing yardage so much easier! I can set it on my sewing table and press blocks while sitting down. Traditional ironing boards are actually really awkward to use for quilting, come to think of it. I've also learned how to cut fabric more accurately, particularly strips, so piecing is a lot more fun when I don't have to stretch fabric so much to make blocks fit together.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 AM

I'm so proud of myself!!
My LQS is having a BOGO (buy one yard, get one yard FREE) on all their "holiday" fabrics - this includes July 4th, Halloween, etc.,etc.
And I RESISTED!!!!!!!!!!

Yaayyy!!!
Of course, the fact that she closes at the same time that I get off from work certainly is a deterrent to me purchasing anything.
Still... I resisted!!!!!!!
Go me!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I love to see everyone doing so good. Grinch, how did it feel?

Pegasus, you are correct. Supplementing existing projects with missing pieces or backing does not count. I am teaching a friend how to quilt and we spent a lot of time on the prep work. The better you prepare the better your blocks turn out. Good going!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Missouri Quilt Co. has free shipping today. My husband told me to get something. I went upstairs and stared at my stash and closed the website. I am trying to be good. It is hard.
Yeah, Grinch, we are proud of you, how sweet of your enabling husband though, but you did good!!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
I'm so proud of myself!!
My LQS is having a BOGO (buy one yard, get one yard FREE) on all their "holiday" fabrics - this includes July 4th, Halloween, etc.,etc.
And I RESISTED!!!!!!!!!!

Yaayyy!!!
Of course, the fact that she closes at the same time that I get off from work certainly is a deterrent to me purchasing anything.
Still... I resisted!!!!!!!
Go me!
Good job Leta, there is always a way if you wanted to go to the sale, so the fact that you didn't is great!!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Good Job, Leta!

Grinch- I like the idea of looking at your stash as a deterrent to buying more...

Rob
Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Swap Hosts

VICTORY! Yesterday I went to Joann and RETURNED yardage that I purchased for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt but didn't use! Money in the bank and I think that makes up for the estate sale purchase!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
I'm so proud of myself!!
And I RESISTED!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you!! Super proud of you!!