2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM

I just found this thread. Been busy with a sick husband for months. I get to shop rarely, but when I do I ALWAYS find something I "must have" even though I don't need it. I have all the supplies for about 8 projects and fabric for ideas for a half dozen more. I need NOTHING!!!

so, I am in with this!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:32 PM

I have not bought any fabric yet, either. I'm deleting my e-mails after I glance at them.

I have shopped my stash for 3 projects. I found some fabric to do the Judy #16 mystery train ride. Fabric I bought back in 2007. I calculate at least about 7 yards on this project. I also went into my batik scraps and backing fabric for fabric for the Quilting Bee site on this board. Unsure how much fabric I will use. I'm using f-qtrs and scrap f-qtrs and backing fabric. My last project that I will start is the temperature WH/throw. I plan to use my 2 1/2" swapped blocks. So that will be 3 projects from my stash. Unsure at this point, if I will gift these projects or keep them. Depends on how they turn out and if I like them.

For people who jumped or slid off the wagon, please post pics. I love to see what is out there in different areas.

Did I mention, I'm tired of winter and freezing precipitation. To think we have 6 weeks to 2 months more to go. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:51 PM

Congratulations to those of you still hanging onto your money and not buying fabric!!! You may become rich beyond measure. And Rob thanks for the hand up back onto this rickety wagon!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Looks to me the only thing that counts in this is the fat quarters. The quilt kit...I imagine it has fabric in it, so that counts too I guess but everything else is just go alongs, so I have been told, lol.
Oh you are making this much better for me!! Thank you.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:52 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565840[/ATTACH] Looks like I have had some company on fall from wagon! Here is my fat quarter bundle.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0828.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

OK. I bought some fabric yesterday. I made a throw with zillions of pieces & showed it to a friend over Christmas. She didn't say much about the top, but swooned over the backing. It was an Asian print I bought years ago. My friend is battling cancer (recurrent) so I wanted to make her a throw. I googled 'Hoffman fabric cranes' and came up with anything but that fabric. I've been cleaning and found a scrap with the printed selvedge. Found some on etsy. Why is this a moratorium issue? I need 1.25 yards for the pattern, but ordered 2.5
Old 01-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I have not bought any fabric yet, either. I'm deleting my e-mails after I glance at them.

I have shopped my stash for 3 projects. I found some fabric to do the Judy #16 mystery train ride. Fabric I bought back in 2007. I calculate at least about 7 yards on this project. I also went into my batik scraps and backing fabric for fabric for the Quilting Bee site on this board. Unsure how much fabric I will use. I'm using f-qtrs and scrap f-qtrs and backing fabric. My last project that I will start is the temperature WH/throw. I plan to use my 2 1/2" swapped blocks. So that will be 3 projects from my stash. Unsure at this point, if I will gift these projects or keep them. Depends on how they turn out and if I like them.

For people who jumped or slid off the wagon, please post pics. I love to see what is out there in different areas.

Did I mention, I'm tired of winter and freezing precipitation. To think we have 6 weeks to 2 months more to go. Happy sewing everyone.
Oh yes, I think that is a wonderful idea. I too like seeing what the trend is, or what kind of material, fabric, ideas come from different parts of the country as well as different countries.

And I too am sick of winter. I get sick of it as soon as the holidays are over with.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
Oh you are making this much better for me!! Thank you.
LOL, you are more than welcome.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Wait, what? Books are on sale at CT? Ohh, I've been deleting their emails without opening... might need to go and just look. Rationalization: I need patterns to use up my stash.
Haha!!
When I was doing the "cleaning frenzy" this weekend (wherein I was reminded of WHY I JOINED THIS THREAD!!), I was also reminded that I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE PATTERNS OR BOOKS!!!!!!!

One thing that my daughter got me started doing is to tear out the patterns that appeal to me from my magazines, put those in sheet protectors in a binder, then give the "cannibalized" magazines away (I usually take them to my Longarm group meeting). So, using this method (that I'm usually behind on), I have two binders (monster-sized) of magazine patterns, two binders (smaller than monster, but still large) of "commercial" patterns, and one binder of embroidery patterns. And currently, I only have about 10 mag's that need to be "stripped". However, (again, because of the cleaning binge), I have a whole tote of "stripped" and/or mostly intact magazines to take to my meeting next Saturday. Cleaning/organizing this part of my sewing room most definitely reminded me that my moratorium needs to extend to all things sewing/quilting.

About the only thing I need to buy this year will be batting... and I'll wait until Foust Textiles does their "open to the public" sale and buy the roll.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Martina - Congratulations on holding onto your willpower. Well Done!
Paper Princess - Do you want a hand back up?

I'm trying to stay as far away from Joann's Fabric as possible. I missed the fat quarter sale last year, and I'm trying to miss it right now. I've discovered several fqs that I had forgotten about, for projects that no longerr interest me, and I really don't need more.