2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like everyone is doing better than I am... Went to the salvation army yesterday. Looks like someone was de-stashing. I got 4 yards of LQS fabric for $6. No specific project in mind, just can't seem to pass up a bargain, although I left a lot more there than I brought home so I guess that's something.
Just got a note from my LQS that they will not be organizing a bus trip to the Grand Rapids show, so I'll save buckets of money by not going!
Hope everyone feels better soon.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 AM

So I am wondering what are all the exemptions. I know birthday, today I read travel, are there any more. I have done well, got to June with only one slip for $1.99 a yard and ended up with 7 yards total. My stash is ever so slowly going down, but that fact that it is going down is the major thing. Everyone is doing well.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I am so psyched...I have upgraded our internet and what difference...I can view everyone's beautiful photos in a flash! Your fabric stash usage is so inspiring...not only using what you have but making such lovelies. Tomorrow is sew day for Qbuddy and me. We are starting a new project using background fabric and 1 1/2" strips...can't wait to get started.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Awesome items to put in a silent fundraiser basket, Oksewglad!

I used up several orphan blocks that were either donated or were mine and added a row of D9P blocks (1st time making them) and a few other blocks to make a 72" by 78" quilt top for my church group.

Connie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574022[/ATTACH]

Great job. It's works well.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

SO that's the secret: Getting sick. Honestly, I'd rather fall off the wagon repeatedly than deal with the ickies. Speaking of...I stayed home today and slept the day away. Must have needed it. I am up but the there is no thought of going shopping - even for fabric (yet).

As for exemptions: AngelAnne - we are a creative lot. You list your event and we'll all decide if that is an acceptable item to add to the list. There is the "being sick" (which some of us might be using soon), the "bereavement" (could be as simple as "my favorite dish broke"), the "I had a lot of stuff go wrong in life and need a pick-me-up", the "my [fill in the blank] really made me mad and I didn't want to hurt them", the "oh I just couldn't help myself", and my personal favorite the "just because". Did I miss any?
Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 PM

MadQuilter, I knew we could count on you to give us all the exemptions! I can say I have used a lot of them myself!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes, I rationalize and declare, but I only bought 2 yds instead of 4 or 1 yd instead of 2
Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Lately, I don't know if it's worth even getting back on the wagon. Here's some ideas for exceptions:
1. Doing a group project and my stash doesn't go with everyone else, so needed to purchase and even those weren't right, so now gathering from others and considering purchase. I even tried dying some of mine, buzz.
2. Stressed out trying to finish projects -- that's stress relief.
3. Waiting in line for help with my group project (maybe I shouldn't do group project again)...yeh... my turn & someone takes cuts..... I was frustrated to the max. Should have gone shopping....less time than stewing all day. But then addiction to purchase just creates a different problem and doesn't help me learn how to control myself....oh this is way to healthy.
4. It's a long way to any LQS and I forgot the project at home, so I'l just buy a little of everything that might work... I like them all anyway.
5. Hey! if traveling is an exception, can I use that everytime I go 60 miles, into Fresno. Let's see, that's 1-2 x/w.
6. I'm not purchasing as much as I'm using.
7. Updating my stash.... 10+yr old fabric out and new in (lesser amount)

Like I said,"Lately, I don't know if it's even worth getting back on the wagon." Maybe I'm not ready. But I have reduced stash by ~200yds in the last 2 yrs. The shelves aren't stuffed and sagging anymore. And there's one empty shelf. I think stopping this addiction is a lot like loosing weight.....can't go cold turkey. Yet, I do need healthyier habits. And one is to get off the computer. Bye.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

It really isn't fun staying on the wagon ALL the time but for me it is a good feeling staying on the wagon most of the time. My jumps/falls are decreased in quantity, the amount of money I spend on each down time is decreased as well, and my sewing room stays better organized. SO it's not an all or nothing proposition for me.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:27 AM

Thanks Mad. That's encouraging.