Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34

Thread: 2017 Fabric Moratorium

Quote Originally Posted by happylab View Post
    Soon I'm going on a bus shop hop for an afternoon. I expect to buy a few items. Most items on my list count for exempt items. Like fabric to finish item(s) I'm currently working on. I'll wait and see if I like what the stores have. Happy shopping everyone. Remember we want pics. We are living through your buying, (at least that is how I'm staying strong and not buy fabric). LOL
    Oh good one, Happy, I think I agree with you. When I see what others are buying and the deals and all, it does help me to stay strong, I'm convinced, lol.

Vacation exemption: 1yd + 1 book. That's amazing for me. My husband kept saying, "must not have been a very good quilt store." They were great, I just kept thinking of what I already have.

Success. Maybe I'm winning at this addiction.

Blog Entries
    August is not even half over and here I am in the fabric confessional! I really like the pumpkin quilt in the current issue of something (quiltmaker maybe?) anyway, you need a ton of different oranges. I have no oranges. Well, I have oranges, but no orange fabric. In addition, I spent the morning on the roof of the shed doing some shingle repair. I'm way too old to be on a roof. So, feeling a bit sore (from the roof thing) and a bit ticked off (from being talked into the roof thing) I stopped at an LQS and thought I'd get one or two orange FQs. They had a whole rack of fall fabrics (i.e. orange) half off. Minimum purchase 1 yard. 11 yards later...
    Oh, well, Orange is the new Black, so I guess it's good that I purchased 11 yards of neutrals. How's that for a rationalization?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Paper Princes, Too funny------fabric confessional!

I fell off the no buy craze, months ago. I see it, I buy it. I guess I should go and stand in the corner.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Paperprincess, 11 yards of "neutrals" sounds to me like a reasonable compensation for spending time on the shed roof

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    If orange is the new black then they do count as neutrals. No foul done. I can hear it now: Bless me Quilter for I have shopped. It has been 2 months since my last quilt shop visit.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I love all your thinking! We can rationalize anything, can't we. So my rationalizing was... I want to make a nifty quilt that uses 18 FQs -- 9 bright florals and 9 subdued/blenders. Blenders and TOT I have plenty of, but I had used up most of my nicer FQs. I really didn't want to cut into yardage as that would be a waste (right?). JoAnns had a coupon for 70% off their FQs, which made them 74 cents each. Amazingly I only purchased 9 FQs. Actually, they were pretty picked over by the time I got there on the last day of the coupon, otherwise I'm sure I would have come out with an armful.
    Name:  FQs.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  133.1 KB

This is the quilt I want to make. It uses large squares and I think it will make a perfect charity quilt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VChFobreo&t=119s

I watched the video. Your fabrics will make a beautiful quilt.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

We are back from our 3 1/2 week driving trip. The picture shows my purchases. The bottom row shows 4 backing fabrics, the middle row will be added to my stash as backgrounds, the top left is some toweling fabric for embroidery and the right are fat quarters and border fabric that I am claiming for my birthday exemption. When I got home I realized I don't have enough of any one background fabric on my shelf to go with the FQ's I purchased, so looks like I will need to make a trip to the LQS tomorrow. I did try to contain myself and don't think I did too bad. Name:  IMG_0765.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1.85 MB
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bell View Post
    Paper Princes, Too funny------fabric confessional!

I fell off the no buy craze, months ago. I see it, I buy it. I guess I should go and stand in the corner.
    Oh that Catholic guilt, repentance, and forgiveness...but only if you are truly sorry! Gram has a naughty stair here!!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Nice haul, Sophie2.
    Martina

Sophie -- I think you exercised great constraint and also make some excellent choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
    We are back from our 3 1/2 week driving trip. The picture shows my purchases. The bottom row shows 4 backing fabrics, the middle row will be added to my stash as backgrounds, the top left is some toweling fabric for embroidery and the right are fat quarters and border fabric that I am claiming for my birthday exemption. When I got home I realized I don't have enough of any one background fabric on my shelf to go with the FQ's I purchased, so looks like I will need to make a trip to the LQS tomorrow. I did try to contain myself and don't think I did too bad. Name:  IMG_0765.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1.85 MB
    3 1/2 weeks and this is all you bought. I would have filled an extra large suitcase.
    What constraint!

Drool........

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    I lucked out last night when I decided to cut slightly larger binding than normal. After I straightened out the fabric I had just a hand-width left. Talk about good calculation (or just dumb luck). So that's fabric I won't have to add back to my stash. Planning to sew the binding on tonight and then I have the music quilt done. I am not really happy with it due to the batting. I will NEVER use Fairfield Polybatting again.
    Martina

Madquilter, we will consider that great calculating on your binding. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Such pretty fabric members have bought. I really like the fabric. See I'm living through your purchase. Ok sort of. Read on...

Well I went on my short bus trip. It was fun. I did not buy on the 1st shop. The 2nd shop I bought 5 yards of batik for my BHMQ border, 1 RBR kit, & a very small ruler. I think I did really good in not buying lots more at the 2nd shop.

Another question of the day. If I order a finishing kit and a few RBR kits to make a large wall hanging, do we considered I have fell from the wagon? I just could not resist this pattern. I will start this pattern soon. I won't finish it until next year though.

There's different kinds of addiction. There are those we just don't need at all: smoking, alcohol, drugs. Go cold turkey.
    Then there's those we need to cut back on: overeating, over-TV, over-reading, over-buying quilt fabric......
    Then there's those that are just fine the way they are.

Are you in control or is the addiction in control?

Blog Entries
    Quit smoking cold turkey from a pack and a half habit in '85. Like alcohol and have it regularly (as I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of red) but I have no problem and I do know my limit. Drugs - I take them sparingly as prescribed. No narcotic addiction here. Food is a different story and my TV is on a lot but it's usually reruns so I keep it for company. The fabric used to have a much stronger draw on a regular basis. Now it is just an occasional blip of impulse challenge.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    I ordered a few templates from Missouri Star and oops, a jelly roll found its way into the basket. I have NO IDEA how that happened and claim the 5th. It's one with stripes and dots in the rainbow color wave. I want to use it for the graduated color quilt Jenny has where one strip is inserted upside down. Just LOVE that look for some reason. It is so simple but so pretty.
    Martina

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34