2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

OK, that fabric is adorable and since you are going to use it right away, I don't see a problem. If I worked at a fabric store, I wouldn't have any self control!
Congrats to your whole family on those 2 bundles of joy!
Givio: yeah, it sometimes seems like this is a fabric buying show-and-tell thread! It hasn't made me completely stop buying, but it has really, really slowed me down. At least what I'm buying is for a current project rather than stash. I still have my LQS gift card I got for Christmas. I'm waiting for something I really need.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 03-12-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:22 AM

I agree that fabric is really cute and since you bought it and the other fabrics that go with it for a specific quilt and not for stash I think you ought to get a pass on this one.... Now next time LOL...

And Paperprincess- I learned my lesson when I worked in a book store back in the '70s--- I think I spent more money buying books than what I earned selling them, which is why I could never,ever work in a fabric store. Art supply and hardware store employment would be a no-go for the same reason

rob
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 AM

Did everyone feel the thump yesterday as I fell off the wagon? I went to the LQS to purchase some fabric to match some valances I had made. Of course, there wasn't enough but I did buy what they had and hope to find the rest on the internet. Once I had the 3 3/4 yd cut for that, I proceeded to look around. Ended up purchasing fabric for a queen size project I have been wanting to make for some time. Hope to get started on this project in the next day or so. I am in the process of climbing back on the wagon!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
Did everyone feel the thump yesterday as I fell off the wagon? I went to the LQS to purchase some fabric to match some valances I had made. Of course, there wasn't enough but I did buy what they had and hope to find the rest on the internet. Once I had the 3 3/4 yd cut for that, I proceeded to look around. Ended up purchasing fabric for a queen size project I have been wanting to make for some time. Hope to get started on this project in the next day or so. I am in the process of climbing back on the wagon!
And here I thought it was all this blasted snow we just had dumped on us again. Looks like you didn't just buy material because you saw it and wanted it, but all for a reason. I definitely can't do any "looking around", that only causes problems, lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I agree that fabric is really cute and since you bought it and the other fabrics that go with it for a specific quilt and not for stash I think you ought to get a pass on this one.... Now next time LOL...

And Paperprincess- I learned my lesson when I worked in a book store back in the '70s--- I think I spent more money buying books than what I earned selling them, which is why I could never,ever work in a fabric store. Art supply and hardware store employment would be a no-go for the same reason

rob
Oh yes, Rob, totally agree with you about working in a fabric store. I often wondered if it would work like it did as a kid picking strawberries. I had that as a summer time job and picked so many in any weather that I really hated strawberries for years and years. Something tells me I would not get sick of seeing material and crafty things, and just touching the material would not be enough.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:43 AM

I worked in a pet store, and only the reptiles didn't come home, although it was my mother-in-law that got the puppy. Every child got their own aquarium. We had fish, hamsters, mice, various species of birds, a room full of birds! cats, and all the stuff to go with them. Then I worked in a jewelry store-- like the strawberry story, now I don't care to wear jewelry much anymore... I think retail work isn't right for me. Probably the problem was at the time I worked retail I didn't need the money. It would have been different if I had needed to work for a living.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Re: working in a fabric store....most of the time I tell myself that it will be here the next time I work and if it's not, it wasn't meant to be! It works most of the time.......
Old 03-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I did stop at the Christmas Goose and I did spend some money. Got a pattern for an iron caddy and two FQ bundles. Only one of those is for me though. One is for a gift. So I didn't go overboard.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Just checking in. Havent been here in a while. Proud to say this is a good group to belong to. You all are doing so well, even the few things bought have their place. I'm doing pretty good so far. My excess spending from about 2 or possibly 3 years ago has really been tamed. I owe it to the accountability I feel I've learned and incorporated by being a member of this thread. Thank you one and all. We have a motor home and my husband and I will be doing some camping and traveling in the next few weeks. It will be some time before I check in again. I've made a few items that will need binding and handwork which I will take with me. So happy quilting and stash using before buying until I return. Just love you guys!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 AM

Givio- I bet your kids loved that job! I will add pet store to the no-go employment list LOL.

Oksewglad- that's one that has worked for me, too. Usually by "next time" I find I'm not quite so enamoured.

Martina- not bad at all ��

Rhonda Lee- looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

I've been doing pretty good--no fabric purchases so far this year, but I did have a drive by fabric drop off when Dear Cousin brought a bag full of her late husband's ties. I need to take those apart and see if there's enough fabric to make the tuffet she requested LOL. And I think I already mentioned the thread and thread cards I got from the Superior Thread at Mid-Atlantic Quilt fest.... I've even managed to use up several yards of the fabric my photographer friend gave me last year and I've got a project planned for some of the fabric that came out of my grandmother's house!

Rob