Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 06-21-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Now that is striking rryder. I love the play with colors. The circular quilting gives it motion. Nicely done. Now that you got that piping down, show me please.
hey QM- I did the piping following Susan Cleveland's instructions in her Piping Hot Binding book-- the thing that worked best for me was to use one of those zipper feet that has grooves in the bottom-- I used a cord for the piping that fits into the grooves-- using that foot enabled me to stitch just a hair to the right of the cord when applying the piping. Per Cleveland's instructions, I used a top thread that matched the piping and a bobbin thread that contrasted with the backing. Then, to stitch the binding to the front, you pin the binding in place on the front, flip the quilt over so the back is facing up and stitch just one thread to the left of the contrasting stitch line left when you put the piping on. Using this method, you need to sew the binding to the back by hand, so it is primarily a technique I'd use for show quilts rather than using quilts. Anyway, the instructions in the book are very clear, with good illustrations. The one thing I think I'd change is to do a larger cord, and a larger binding given the size of this quilt.

Rob
Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 AM

When I was in Duluth, I saw a quilt that had triple piping trim. It was remarkable and she had all of them mitered perfectly with the borders to the binding corner. Yeah, judges were impressed. I am going to have to use this technique and also get the book. Will help me in my judging paperwork I have to get done.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 AM

It certainly is beautiful! Congratulations, QM, for another UFO finish. Toot, Toot!
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575078[/ATTACH]
Well I finally got it done. After more than a year, last three weeks torture it seemed, I finished this beauty. It is Sweetheart Houses by Shabby Fabrics. I even put the embellishments on. All the buttons and pearls, I even added an eye on the bird as an extra because I thought it needed it. I did machine stitch the binding down because it needed done today so could be mailed. It is not going in a show so I am good. At least one UFO done this month!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Rob, it's terrific! Looks like your first experience with piping was a great success! Congratulations on your UFO finish 6 years in the making. Toot, Toot!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Hey all, I finally have a finish for June. I thought it would never be done, mainly because I tried a new to me technique--adding piping ---which then meant hand sewing the binding down on the back, which was made harder by using black thread on the black binding---I finally had to get my jeweler's magnifiers to be able to see. First photo is front, second is back and third is detail showing piping since it doesn't want to show up in the other photos.

It's about 49" square and parts of it have been sitting around for at least 6 years...

Rob
Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 AM

I got rid of another ufo. I had a quilt panel and all my fabric set up, then had it set to assemble, just never finished. Well it is now going to be part of my Row by Row quilt as the side rows for the border. I will have photos once it is finished, couple more days. Excited to see a UFO gone. Yes another one bites the dust.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:35 AM

This isn't a really old UFO, but it is done. It has only been on my pile for a year. I hope to have the binding sewn down on a quilt before the end of the month. I just keep plugging away. I have also finished a few things that were not UFO's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575261[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0645.jpg  
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Those are really nice Sophie2! Looks like 4 UFOs done, maybe 8 counting the napkins.

Rob
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 AM

Sophie2, congrats on finishing those placemats and napkins.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Those are really nice Sophie2! Looks like 4 UFOs done, maybe 8 counting the napkins.

Rob
I like the way you count UFO's!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Sophie2....your placemats and napkins are nice. I like the color combo.