Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 AM

so cool to look at this thread and see 3 finishes posted yesterday:

Sandy- your redesign resulted in a beautiful quilt!

Happylab- good use of a panel. I have several that have been hanging around for years because I never can figure out what to do with them. Yours turned out very well and has inspired me to pull mine out for a looksee.

Wildyard- that is a seriously creative way to use the baby clothes! way cute baby quilt.

Rob
Old 08-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
happylab...congrats on the finished panel quilt.

I know all about getting side-tracked. I am forcing myself to finish all the UFOs I have and not add to them, but it's a struggle. I already have plans to start 3 new patterns...a landscape one, either a fractured or a bargello pattern(probably fractured) and a simple pattern using scraps so I can practice FMQ.(that should be fun...or not!!)
Anne2016, can you please explain what you mean by fractured pattern? It sounds like something very interesting!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
wildyard, how did you attach the clothes to the block? It is really cute. I have been asked about doing that with some baby clothes, but wasn't sure the process people are using. Thanks.
I don't know if I did it the "right" way, lol, I just made it up as I went along. I cut the backs off everything, and just zigzagged them to the backing fabric. Where they overlapped, I cut away the parts that were underlaying to reduce the bulk. I arranged them so that any snaps were able to be cut away after I broke a needle hitting a snap! LOL I couldn't find a way to make the outfits with front zippers lay nicely so I didn't use those. The zippers were just so warped and crooked; I guess from the fabric around them shrinking?
If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Oh, and I didn't use any underlayment for the items as I didn't want to add any extra bulk.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Anne2016, can you please explain what you mean by fractured pattern? It sounds like something very interesting!
It's a bit difficult for me to explain. Back a few years ago, someone on this board posted about fractured quilt patterns. I like the shimmering effect they have. Not sure if I can do it but want to move outside my comfort zone and I always wanted to try that type of pattern.
I will post a link to some photos.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9570217932833989/
Here's the thread from a few years ago.
Fractured Quilt???
My gosh, it was back in 2011. How time flies!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 PM

What's the total for July? Only my horse quilt counts for me...it went to another home for the binding. I'm closing in on finishing the other two. Probably by next week. And have 5 more to quilt.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
It's a bit difficult for me to explain. Back a few years ago, someone on this board posted about fractured quilt patterns. I like the shimmering effect they have. Not sure if I can do it but want to move outside my comfort zone and I always wanted to try that type of pattern.
I will post a link to some photos.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9570217932833989/
Here's the thread from a few years ago.
Fractured Quilt???
My gosh, it was back in 2011. How time flies!
WOW, I definitely will NOT be doing that one. I can't even look at it so I am sure I can't make it. I remembered some members making a panel quilt where they cut the panel into strips and inserted other strips between them and raised and lowered the panel strips so they were not straight across the quilt. I thought maybe that was a fractured quilt. LOL
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 PM

The quilting is finished. It's lying down flat to dry for blocking. Just the binding left.[ATTACH=CONFIG]577864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails framed-stripes.jpg  
Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 AM

Hi there, Sandy! Great jobs with your adaptations to the shape. Congratulations on your beautiful UFO finish! Toot, Toot!
Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
I did not fall off the face of the earth but did finish my UFO from start to finish about 17 months! But I finished the label in mid July so this will add one more to the count for this month. Tomorrow I take it to enter in the County Fair. The original pattern called for it to be a square quilt and I do NOT like square quilts. Beds are not square. So I had to do adapting. I made my first center and did not like it so went with yo-yo's instead and like it much better. I put the first attempt at a center, which was the wrong size anyhow..on the back. Will add the pictures here so you can see front and back. Hope to get back to QB more when winter arrives.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 AM

Well, I'm glad you were able to manage a finish as we need them for July. I'm impressed with your art quilts as I'm firmly stuck in a "box", usually a 12 1/2 inch square, conventionally pieced box. Congratulations and Toot, Toot Rob for another UFO finish!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Well, I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get a finish for July, but I finally managed to get this one finished. It has been hanging around for well over a year because I just wasn't happy with it. Finally I decided to just quilt the layers together so I could remove the safety pins. That was last week. Then I decided I still didn't like it. So I decided to crop it. After cutting it into a number of different pieces I didn't like any of them. So I decided to sew them back together, but not like they were when it was whole. Then I decided it needed some thread scribbling-- don't know if that showed up on the photo. Anyway, after letting it sit all day yesterday and today, I have decided it is done. It's approximately 31" x 42"

Rob
Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 AM

Congratulations on your Horse Quilt in post 1401. (I didn't realize it was a UFO finish as you stated it was not yet quilted.) Toot, Toot!

As for totals, I usually give it a few days into the next month before I make the tally announcement to give people time to post their last minute finishes. Look for the tally in a day or two. Thanks.
Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
What's the total for July? Only my horse quilt counts for me...it went to another home for the binding. I'm closing in on finishing the other two. Probably by next week. And have 5 more to quilt.