Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Beautiful finish, Sophie2!

Belfrybat, those are so pretty. Was the top floral a border print? It looks so nice with the bit of dark around each side of the flowers.
Thank you, yes it was a border print, but unlike others I've use the sections were of equal width, so I cut one floral section in half to make the right size.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Ann and Rose P -- lovely finishes. I really like the strip dragonfly quilt. The small blocks adds a lot of interest to what would have been an ordinary (but quite nice) quilt.
Jeanine -- my words, but you are on fire!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Rose P and Jeanine, wonderful finishes.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Janice, I have 2 finishes for this month. They both are spiral table runners that were started last year. Needed a quick b-day present yesterday for a neighbor and forgot to take a picture. The other one is packed and ready to move to the new house. 3 more to go that have been around for a while. I don't know if I have posted this on the thread or not but we have bought a house and are selling the double wide trailer so I am packing and between putting this trailer up for sale and picking out new furniture its been pretty busy. We close on December 6th, they deliver all the new furniture on the 7th, so it will be a little chaotic for the month of December. I'll try to get them done before the years end.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

jaba---and that's why we have UFO's...so we can make a quick gift in a flash!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
It was challenging! But I love creating something out of what I have (or in this case, what I was given).

Jeanine
I understand completely...my creativity stirs when I see bits and pieces as I wonder...what can I make of this? Sounds like we are kindred souls, Jeanine!

Oh and what another lovely, delightful finish!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the likes! I'm really enjoying this board. There are so many nice quilts to look at, and it keeps me mindful of all my UFO's.

Oksewglad, there isn't the slightest chance I would try to make smaller strips out of those 4" ones. I'm one lazy quilter and was pleased someone had picked a bunch of fabrics I liked and had already done all that cutting. Over the years it was in the back of my mind and if I happened to see a fabric I thought would go with the others, I'd buy it. I know there were only 2-3 from the original bunch that I didn't use, either because I raided them for something else or I didn't like them in this because they were juvenile prints, little fishies and hot air balloons (nice for something else, someday).

Today I finished a couple of pillow shams that match the quilt. Maybe they should count as another finish? They certainly gave me a lot of trouble for such a simple project. The tops of them were done several months ago, testing the plan for the quilt. One of the booboos I made today was new even to me. I got one sham completely done before I realized I'd sewn two soft sides of the velcro into the same sham. I also made some pillowcases from the leftover backing, but I don't have a picture of those (not a UFO, anyway).
Attached Thumbnails jewel_shams_post.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 AM

Rose_P....beautiful quilt! I always like shams or pillowcases to go with a quilt but don't often do them because they do take a lot of extra fabric. Nice that you had enough strips to make both shams and pillowcases.

Jeanine....congrats on all the finishes.

Last edited by anne2016; 11-21-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 AM

I'd better get in here. I have sympathy for the poster with 60 UFOs. I do not want to count mine. I'll just mention a few: a Giant Dahlia, a jelly roll of batiks that was cut wrong, a green and gold star......a tree quilt with not enough trees. Heaven help me!!! I'll post some pics later.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Rose_P, when I get scraps I usually like to use the size they are given in, too. I can tell by the last picture that you kept them the original size...nice job on the shams, but had to chuckle about the velcro...that sounds like something I would do, too.