2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-30-2018, 08:32 AM

How does everyone try to stick with their moratorium when the summer State Shop Hops are going on? Ugh....the sales! The prizes!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
How does everyone try to stick with their moratorium when the summer State Shop Hops are going on? Ugh....the sales! The prizes!
I either don't go, to avoid the temptation OR I evaluate each piece I pick up to determine if I REALLY REALLY WANT AND NEED IT. It's amazing how often I put the piece back.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
From reading all of y'all that are going to sales, that I am the last hold-out. I haven't bought any fabric of any kind, except for that "full sized" fitted sheet for my bed that was mislabeled by the thrift shop and was really a queen sized one. It's now somewhere in the stash.

And, I've made dozens of baby quilts since January, all from the bins, boxes and piles of my stash. If I can do it, so can y'all! So, let's avoid all those sales!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM

I went to my LQS and only paid for a w/h holder and signed up for a quilt retreat in September. The quilt retreat is only 20 minutes away from me, and I can go home each night, if I like. I put down 1/4 of the payment today. I’m so excited about. I’m really trying not go to LQS and not buy fabric. I’m also getting into making quilt tops from my stash and scraps.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 AM

Unfortunately.....or not....I'm going to fall off the wagon. My dear friend and quilting mentor is moving and into a much smaller space. If I helped clean her apt. would I be able to take all the fabric she doesn't want?????????????????????? Are you KIDDING? I know there are 4 bolts of pink. Does anyone do breast cancer quilts???

Then to make life interesting, the father blue bird died in a storm, and now the mother has disappeared too. I have 5 babies which require 2-3 hour feedings of meal worms on a tweezer. They were 40 hours without food, but I think I've got them all tanked up. All are eating, all are pooping and singing their rendition of "Feed Me, Feed Me!"
Old 05-31-2018, 04:30 AM

Oh Gosh BA....that is an undertaking. I'm not sure I'd be energized enough to do it. Of course, looking at the helpless ones I'd probably do the same. You're a kind person!

And as far as your friend goes? You aren't shopping with money, so I say it isn't shopping. Take all your little arms can handle and then go back for more. LOL

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Unfortunately.....or not....I'm going to fall off the wagon. My dear friend and quilting mentor is moving and into a much smaller space. If I helped clean her apt. would I be able to take all the fabric she doesn't want?????????????????????? Are you KIDDING? I know there are 4 bolts of pink. Does anyone do breast cancer quilts???

Then to make life interesting, the father blue bird died in a storm, and now the mother has disappeared too. I have 5 babies which require 2-3 hour feedings of meal worms on a tweezer. They were 40 hours without food, but I think I've got them all tanked up. All are eating, all are pooping and singing their rendition of "Feed Me, Feed Me!"
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

You are a good soul, Battle Axe. Taking care of the babies sounds like a dedicated chore. We hear so much negativity in the world - I am always glad to come here and see the upside of humanity.

My BFF and I are going to go to the Reno Quilt and Sewing Expo so we'll see what I'll come home with. I can always get thread - We ALWAYS NEED thread. And my BFF doesn't have much stash. I can live vicariously through her. lol

Tonight I get to meet a quilty friend for dinner. She's a quilt judge in town for the fair judging. It will be nice because we get to meet the husbands too. I am sure looking forward to tonight.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Oh..Battle Axe....that is so sweet...I'd love to see a pic of your Foster peeps and so glad they are doing good.

MadQuilter....have a wonderful time at the fair and lunch with your friend. I think quilt shows should be exempt from moratorium since they are special events and some of that stuff can't be found but at shows. It's part of the experience.....

Joann's is having a BOGO sale right now so I am going to buy a new rotary cutter and get a second one free. Mine is on its last leg and almost death defying when replacing blades. It's time to replace it. Not getting anything else....cross my heart....lol..
Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Oops! After bragging about not buying fabric since January... I'm ashamed to admit ... I fell off the wagon today. Woe is me!! I friend "invited" me to go to her church's attic sale. I ended up buying 2 big packages of batting and a queen size cotton sheet (beautiful shade of lilac) . The sheet will be made into Pack-N-Play sheets so it may not count... And the batting really isn't fabric so maybe I'm safe. What do you think? Does my record still stand?
Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Susan, I think you can retain your tiara! Sounds like you used great restraint.
Battle Axe you are amazing! I remember dealing with 8 puppies that were rejected by their mother. Hectic time, but they should fledge pretty quickly.
I am happy to say I had zero fabric purchases in May. I even had a gift card that i used on a ruler.