Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2018 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM

Well, my 2 UFO challenges picked their numbers for this month. #1 - my 150 Canadian Women quilt. I have 30 blocks to piece (6" blocks, every one different, most with between 30-60 pieces), then sashing, borders, etc. And #9 - only needs quilting and binding. I know which one I'm working on #1 will get some attention at my next retreat, and hopefully I'll at least get all the blocks done before the end of the month.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Lots of great quilts have turned up here since my last visit! Woo-hoo everyone!

Here's my latest finish, another one from 2012. I must have gone through a phase of enjoying piecing more than actually making quilts, but I suddenly realized that I do not want to leave quite so many half done objects for my family to tsk-tsk over when I'm gone.

This is disappearing 4-patch with 15" blocks, quilted with the embroidery machine. It's too small for a queen bed - just on there for the photo. I must have been trying to reduce the scrap pile without giving it a lot of careful thought. My only regret is that there are some teensy-tiny prints that would have been excellent for one of my other hobbies which is making 1:12 scale miniatures. Prints suitable for this scale are not that easy to find. How could I have cut them up for this, in which you can't even see what they are from three feet away?
Attached Thumbnails d4p_done020118a.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Rose....this looks great! Very pretty scrappy. I always forget about that pattern. Congratulations on the finish.

Krista...love your strategy on tackling the UFO pile. You've got this, girl.... You are on a roll...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 PM

Rose_P-: Great finish. Love the color choices.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 AM

Happylab you've forgotten my baby quilt UFO. Forgot to take a picture and it's gone to recipient now, so,that's another finish to add to January.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Love your DP4, Rose....and yes those tiny prints are hard to find. Would love to see you miniatures.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Cannyquilter, I'm sure you and everyone here would love to see a picture of that baby quilt with the baby on it! You've simply got to ask the baby's parents to send you one.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks, all, for the nice words about the D4P!

I'm on a roll. This morning I finally dug out and finished a little table mat I started a very long time ago. I don't even know when, but possibly 7 years or more. I didn't like it, but I had gotten as far as hand stitching 1/4 of the way around the binding on this 20" project before I quit. Today when I sat down determined to get it finished, I figured out that the main problem was it was impossible to see what I was doing. I had to wear mag-eyes to do it even now with good eyesight, and back then I had cataracts. I made the binding out of the same fabric as the back, instead of bringing it over, so I could have used something I could see, but didn't. It was just a little piece for practicing fmq, and it has a lot wrong with it. The real question now is why did I even bother to finish it? Maybe the cats would like it for their cat bed. At least it's square, but doesn't look it in the picture because the camera was tilted. And the lavender floral border is properly mitered, but you'll have to take my word for that because it doesn't show up at all.
Attached Thumbnails table_mat_1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Rose, lovely finishes.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 AM

QOV binding is done....will be shipping next week. This was a UFO that laid on my guest bed since before Thanksgiving... Not long but still long for me.

Yesterday, I was organizing for the mystery quilt and pulled a down pizza box (I use these for WIP) from my stack of empty boxes and ....... it was not empty but filled with blocks I made from scraps from my brothers quilt I did in February last year. I completely forgot about this stuff. I was making a donation quilt. So, I guess I have a UFO I've got to tackle. I went through all the pizza boxes to make sure... Phew....this is the only one.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg