Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2018 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

With the best of intentions, I set in on quilting my $5 quilt ckub quilt. Bobbin ran out. Wound more bobbins, thread ran out. Got ready to go to Joann. DH said, “As long as you’re out, can you get the grocery list? I ran out of pop.” So now ready to get back to quiling. Need to be done by 8; the university where my Dad and I taught plays hockey at 8:38.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM

I got a late start quilting today too. Had to run to the post office and then went to LQS to buy a jelly roll for my SIL's b-day. Needed some blue fabric for a QOV I need to start and glue stick refills. That's it. Phew!

My Sylvia Bridal Sampler count is 92 of 140 completed. I did Y-seams today...YUCK!!!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 AM

Krista-that’s beautiful, Ilove the controlled scrappy effect and the bright colors!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 AM

Krista, your quilt looks like it was planned & not scrappy! You joined them beautifully & made a lovely final quilt.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Krista, your quilt looks like it was planned & not scrappy! You joined them beautifully & made a lovely final quilt.
You and rryder have discovered my secret I do "controlled scrappy" when I do it at all. So each participant got a set of fabric in the same colourways. Different fabrics, but the same 8 colours (mostly - I think I ran out at one point) - plus the squares (large and small) were all red. Giving them to different people at least ensured that the placement was random
Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Another one bites the dust.

Don't know if I picked up something yesterday, but I am not firing on all cylinders today. Constantly cold and have that ugh feeling. I Did enjoy the movie yesterday, we saw was "I can only image". It was about Bart Millard, song writer and singer and the band Mercy Me's start.

The parade yesterday got a little repetitive. First St. Patric's day and probably the last in St. Paul, may try a small town next year, since it's on Sunday in 2019. Enjoyed the bands but watching people walk, got dull after a while. The audience was just as colorful as the people in the parade.

Did get a little stitching done in the morning and evening yesterday. And today I finished the binding!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591207[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]591208[/ATTACH]
Calling it finished so 1 UFO for me in March, I have the label to attach but still have to figure the wording then into the wash to make sure it's clean. Think I might try and deliver it on Wednesday.
I'm getting better at figuring the continuous binding, I have 14 inches left over. and a piece of binding material that is 5 x 24 inches.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3993c.jpg   dsci3994c.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Had a lot going on today so I Only completed 2 SBS clocks (94 out of 140 done...I hope you don't mind me constantly reminding you of completed block count but it helps me stay focused and energized)...also, rough designed a QOV that I need to do and organized my fabrics for that. I have everything I need for that, even backing...so good to go...
Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM

You mention your progress, all you want Teen. One of my UFOs is the Farmers Wife quilt. I have about 75 blocks finished with 110 total. I looked a the Syliva's Bridal Sampler and cringed. Must finish one of these big ones before I take on another one. We can race to the end perhaps but I have a couple other UFOs in line before FW can float to the top of the heap. Then there is the guild mystery quilt, the two scrappy quilts I have cut out for retreat, a birthday quilt for my son, an anniversary quilt for a niece, a baby quilt for next month and well..... it does go on and on.

I am anxiously awaiting your success on the next blocks.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 PM

Thank you, WMU!! I know there are a lot of us on the board with big WIP so that gives me comfort. I don't know if I will tackle a sampler of this magnitude again. Maybe a sampler with LARGER blocks...lol! I only started this because I can't find all my fabrics for my Baltimore Album quilt I wanted to start this year. You have a busy list of needs to work on so even if I'm done with SBS before you get to FW, I'll cheer you on!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, Krista! Teen, you will get it done! No problem with the updates here either!

FYI I put a UFO on the frame today, a baby quilt. now to trim and get some binding on.