2019 UFO Challenge

Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM

So, has anyone found a solution to the kicking out problem? I see others being able to type long entries on this site. I just wonder why they aren’t kicked out. Just curious.

Has as anyone made a 1” (finished), blocks or postage stamp quilt? After you sew the segments, do you iron them, or wait until the very end to iron the seams down? I plan to start one next week.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
So, has anyone found a solution to the kicking out problem? I see others being able to type long entries on this site. I just wonder why they aren’t kicked out. Just curious.

Has as anyone made a 1” (finished), blocks or postage stamp quilt? After you sew the segments, do you iron them, or wait until the very end to iron the seams down? I plan to start one next week.
I find it best to press as I sew. With that many seams, it is so easy to get a twisted seam allowance. I find this useful on all my quilts, not just the ones with smaller pieces.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post

I don't typically write long posts but, when I do, I get kicked out, too. The "auto-save" will sometimes help with that...or, type your post on a different program and just copy & paste.

I bow to you in all your greatness for starting a 1" postage stamp quilt! Yowza.... That's a lot of work but so awesome when done. Share your progress...and, like Oksewglad, I press as I go on my mini's. Just easier on accuracy for me, at least.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I don't typically write long posts but, when I do, I get kicked out, too. The "auto-save" will sometimes help with that...or, type your post on a different program and just copy & paste.

I bow to you in all your greatness for starting a 1" postage stamp quilt! Yowza.... That's a lot of work but so awesome when done. Share your progress...and, like Oksewglad, I press as I go on my mini's. Just easier on accuracy for me, at least.
And Teen I find it so much more manageable to press as you go than to manhandle a large quilt with all those seams.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Thank-you all for your helpful input. I will post progress photos. I’m hoping to get it done this week. (That could be some real wishful thinking). I will be cutting out 1.5” blocks tomorrow and starting it on Monday. I have over 1000 small blocks already cut. I calculated over 3000 pieces for this project. Mostly batiks and fabric colors that play well with batiks. We will see.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Motorcyclemad: Good luck on getting your goals accomplished.
Thanks, Connie.
I visited my mother last weekend--so no sewing at all . Needless to say that we didn't get to tackle her shed either, which was the reason for the trip.

I did locate the newest squares for the sampler. There are two of them, one in a batik and the other in a civil war colorway. I also found some squares to fix my Moratorium creation. This weekend starts on Friday for me so, Yeah!

I still haven't found the Quilt-As-You-Go I was looking for. Maybe when I get back out to my shed in a couple weeks .

Keep up the good work, guys.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Please keep your fingers crossed for me: currently I have 6 UFOs, 2 quilts started (not UFOs yet) and I am planning 2 new ones. My goal till the end of 2019 is to finish 5 UFOs and make 1 new quilt (it has precedence over the 6t UFO and the started quilts because it is for the little sister of the recipient of one of the UFOs, and I don't want to cause any sibling squabble).
Old 10-30-2019, 01:18 AM

Yesterday I was writing during a break at work - then I returned home and counted again. 6 UFOs, 3 started, 3 new planned quilts. Someone is going to be busy at least till Christmas
Old 10-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Good luck, Vasilisa!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

Such noble goals! Keep it going. I found another UFO I forgot about. It's a pastel string quilt made with a large rt triangle and strips of fabric in the other half of the 9.5" square...the box was labeled Amish Spring. I know it's been in the box for nigh on 25 years, if not longer. As luck would have it I found a piece of large pink gingham fabric just wide enough and about 5 inches longer than I needed. Batting was a piece of poly taken from a worn out tied quilt..probably as old as the flimsy! I threw it on the LA after watching the YouTube video Loading Lori's Way...took me longer to load it and baste it, but so easy to just keep quilting once I got started. Now to find some fabric to bind it...it needs a washing, too.