2019 UFO Challenge

Old 11-03-2019, 03:21 AM

Oksewglad, wow! 25 years - that means you have quilted for so many years. I just imagine how many beautiful things you must have made.

Meanwhile, I managed to make progress on my most overdue UFO, on one of the already-started things and on a new quilt (formerly: planned). I have also come up with an idea on how to use my blue and navy scraps (which means a quilt added to the "new-planned" list).

Here is my situation now: 6 UFOs, 4 started, 3 planned. And I still plan to finish 5 of the UFOs and 1 of the started quilts by Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed, please, because I have a full time job, to which I commute about one hour one-way, I am learning German and I go to classes every Saturday morning, I play flute (requires more or less regular practice), I cook meals at home (no fast food for lunch on my watch!), I try to keep the apartment clean (good it is tiny!), I am organizing my wedding, which will take place next spring (small family gathering, but still) AND I keep having remorse because I don't do any sport (read: I am neglecting my health). I just believe a bit of everything makes for a happy whole - just like in a quilt
Old 11-03-2019, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
Oksewglad, wow! 25 years - that means you have quilted for so many years. I just imagine how many beautiful things you must have made.
Ha Ha...I have so many mistakes as well! Made my first quilt for my daughter when when she was 2 or 3 years old...my GD now has it. It was a "postcard" pattern done in primary colors with a yellow gingham backing...could get the gingham 60" wide; used a old blanket for batting and tied it. That was 45 years ago. I'd make utilitarian quilts when I could, as I worked on our dairy with four kids to raise. Always found time to sew even then. Didn't start getting into more serious quilting until about 25 years ago.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 PM

Oksewglad, even more wow. 4 kids - I cannot even imagine the turmoil that 1 would cause in my life Did you work on a dairy farm?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
Oksewglad, even more wow. 4 kids - I cannot even imagine the turmoil that 1 would cause in my life Did you work on a dairy farm?
Yes, Vasilisa. MrOk and I are retiring after 47 years of farming...our son and wife are taking over the herd. And they have 5 kids between 9 and 18 plus DIL works FT off the farm. I grew up on a dairy, so knew how to milk cows, but Dad didn't teach me how to drive a tractor...MrOk did. It seems every year a learned a new skill, whether it was plowing; discing; and of course, raking hay. I chopped alot of hay and corn silage on my "steel horse". I never planted corn, but did sow peas/barley one spring. I raised a lot of baby calves. Up until this last year I did all the bookwork which included finances as well as keeping the paper trail on all the animals (120 cows and that many heifers). One learns to manage time and sleep is total relaxation!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 PM

I love learning this about you, Oksewglad... I moved to a farming valley and the pastures are full of herds and crops. Hard work, for sure. They are discing now for the winter...miles of clean and tidy soil. Lol... I'll think of you, now, as I pass through.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I love learning this about you, Oksewglad... I moved to a farming valley and the pastures are full of herds and crops. Hard work, for sure. They are discing now for the winter...miles of clean and tidy soil. Lol... I'll think of you, now, as I pass through.
How sweet of you Teen. Oh dear, a constant reminder of me as you go from Point A to Point B! We are getting snow today. Wonder if I will have to clean off sidewalk in front of the LQS this morning..work is calling. Have a great day.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:37 PM

Meanwhile in Poland... It is already snowing in the mountains. In Warsaw, where I live, probably it will not, till December. Tomorrow is our Independence Day. I wish it was in a warmer season (4th July, I'm looking at you!), but I don't get to change history.

I worked hard on the weekend, and as a result, I am happy to announce that one of the UFO tops is done. Sandwiched, pinned with safety pins and ready for quilting. May the rest follow
Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Happy Independence Day, Vasilisa! We celebrate and honor our veterans/heroes tomorrow. It's a good day for both our countries. Congrats on completing a UFO. You are in the home stretch with that one now.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Vasilia, I had no idea our little group was international. My mother's mother was from Warsaw. I don't know much other than she lived outside of the city on a farm and came to the U.S. when she was a late teen. One of my aunts went to Poland and did a bit of investigating and found a baptismal record for her. All so interesting.

It is snowing here in Michigan like it was the night before Christmas. Slick roads and my local birds are busy at the feeder. This much snow is early for us. I don't mind. I like to watch the snow come down and decorate the trees and bushes.

I am still and will be for a long time working on a large hand quilting project. After that is finished in the early spring, I will dive into my UFO's again. The quilt I am working on is 20 + years old and started by someone else. I will post the whole story when I am finished.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Vasilisa: Happy Independence Day! It sounds like you are finally getting a handle on it--so keep at it.

Originally Posted by Motorcyclemad View Post

I still haven't found the Quilt-As-You-Go I was looking for. Maybe when I get back out to my shed in a couple weeks .
I found it! It took another holiday for me to really "Dive" into my shed. I also found Seven 2-1/2" strip quilts that were just sitting in a box. They only needed backings. They range from a generous lap size to a fair Queen. I had forgotten I had them done. Since I didn't do much in the way of sewing in October (at least compared to August & September), I am feeling pretty good. My other half sent up a flare--he said that I was out there for quite a while.

Along with all of this, I got the last kit for my two Saturday Samplers. I just have to figure out how I want to stage the final borders. Of course, I would want it larger than it is supposed to finish.

Last edited by Motorcyclemad; 11-12-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Syntax