2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-16-2020, 06:19 AM

So nice to see what you all are doing. I am still feeling terribly unproductive this year but I can handle that... nice thing with my donation quilting is that I don't have many deadlines or obligations other than what I force on myself.

The Frolic mystery last year was my first Bonnie Hunter project. She definitely has a style and that isn't mine... as one of the Tuesday ladies said: But you don't like lots of little triangles! I did mine last year in "real time" that is, pretty much going along with the clues. The UFO I'm working on belongs to another board member who lost her joy in the project... Since I'm having problems getting started on my own projects I offered to put it together for her and I am actually having a lot of fun with it.

There was a mistake made, 41 units instead of 41 sets of units... so it came to me 98% complete in terms of pieces. Extra fabric was provided, everything was really well done and neatly organized in bags and clips. I've gotten the missing pieces made and today will finish putting everything needed for each block in a baggie. Think I still have to cut a couple pieces for the sashing (that wasn't explained well), but I'll deal with that next time I get the project out.

I'm planning at this point to do this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery too. Even though I still don't have a home for the Frolic top (thought I did, long story, but always knew it was most likely leaving my home). Her workmanship instructions are pretty good. I'm pretty firm on pressing open, but I think I'll try it with her directions going to the side pressing. I am definitely going to use easier fabrics to work with than those hand dyes I did last year. I really did not expect to have to pay so close attention to which was the right/wrong side of the fabric but each piece could look so different cut to cut.

On Monday I return to my Round Robin, or at least hope for inspiration. I think I know what I'm going to do, been trying to talk myself out of it and might when I actually see the physical piece...
Old 08-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Cat- beautiful top. My vote is option 1 - make it bigger with borders.
I second that vote, Cattitude. Fabulous colors!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:26 AM

WMUTeach, great quilt finishes. I love sunflowers and scraps are my happy place.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I gave away 11 file/ paper size boxes of mostly kids/ novelty fabric last week to a coworker who Needs to make masks for her kids for school and enjoys making clothes, toys, all kinds of crafty things. She was really excited to get it all & I was really excited to see it go away. 😎
Old 08-16-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I gave away 11 file/ paper size boxes of mostly kids/ novelty fabric last week to a coworker who Needs to make masks for her kids for school and enjoys making clothes, toys, all kinds of crafty things. She was really excited to get it all & I was really excited to see it go away. 😎
Another example of creative use of stash. Give it away to someone who can use it! Your co-worker will be busy but blessed to not have to purchase fabric for here purposes. Three cheers for opening up your arms and passing on your abundance to another who can use the fabric.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:52 PM

Cat, your slip is understandable since you've completed so many tops this year! Isn't it nice to have some empty spots in your stash area?
CK, I'm glad your fabric went to someone who can appreciate it. Good going!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:13 PM

Ice, I saved directions for BH Good Fortune, but all those itty bitty pieces haven't appealed to me yet.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:15 AM

Ok, I slipped up. Or more correctly, I deliberately bought fabric yesterday. It was the first time since February and I'm ashamed to say -- it felt good!

The thrift stores were closed until a month ago. Hubby and I have been doing our Sunday Date Day minus bowling -- bowling is lumped in with things like attending football and will be a phase 4 opening (we are currently considered to be phase 2). We go to a small family restaurant for breakfast. Lorenzo/dad/usual cook is making more money for the family as a driver delivering other people's food so the kids are keeping it going weekend mornings. And then we go to a couple of thrift stores on the way home.

I got a panel I bought full price last year for $12.98, Goodwill price $1.99. Found another piece of nice Concord VIP, small bunches of flowers on a red background, it was about 4 yards and the tag had been torn off. I offered to pay $4.99 but she said, I'm going to ring the other tag twice. So it was meant to be.

But now I need to go and find a good back for this comfort quilt we are making. We were hoping to need 4 yards but we redid the math for blocks/sashing and it is pretty much exactly 72x84 as it is, so looking for some 5 yard pieces.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I've been working on some wonky stars...have 72 6" ones ready to put sashings on but have decided to put star points on them so have some more putzy work to do (aka mindless sewing!) I have just enough of a news paper print to make 3" wide sashes and first border...Now to decide if I should buy enough of the corner stone fabric and make a wider second border for a queen size quilt.. Decisions...
Old 08-17-2020, 10:33 AM

Here it is Aug already and I have only had to purchase 2 pieces of fabric all year. I continue to work from my stash and am thrilled with using so many of my forgotten fabrics. I have done a number of scrappy quilts too. I also worked for FQ's and 1/2yd pieces a lot so far. This has saved me so much money. When I say 2 pieces I only mean fabrics that were not included in my penny a yard sale fine. I got 141 yds of fabrics for $1.41. Most of that fabric has already been used to make mask. That fabric never made into my cupboards. I had to buy 2 pieces for a baby quilt that I had to remake. I don't know a quilter that could have passed up that deal.
Anyway I believe this year is so much better than last year.