Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-16-2023, 05:06 PM

Welcome new participants. This is a safe place to fall off the wagon, jump off the wagon or to just skip the wagon and be encouraged by what others are accomplishing. Baby steps and do what fits you and your time. When I was working full time, just making one extra quilt a year without buying additional fabric was a win. Now, after a good number of years, my stash is low enough that I need to shop from time time for backing. When you get discouraged, go back to the first post and review that this is a a place of freedom from rules. Shop your stash before you shop the quilt shop, and enjoy you quilting journey!
Old 01-16-2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
I am so excited about an upcoming fabric shopping need. I am in the Birthday Candy Swap and after tracking down my fabrics for this upcoming year's swap I have discovered that I do not have a full 50 different fabrics that have not been used in the swap yet! This week I get to go fabric shopping for about 15 new fabrics. Yay!!! I will probably hit an online shop for a FQ or F8 bundle so I won't increase my total fabric load too much. Bear Creek fabrics always has fun bundles. I checked the Fat Quarter shop already but am not impressed with their prices right now.

Who do you all go to if you need fat quarters?
QuiltedTwins in Dade City Forida also, quilted twins.com has lots of fun fabrics and bundles at a great price. I perused the site right after Christmas. Okay, yes, I bought a bundle. But, I sew for small dolls 11" and under and needed some small print fabric. I found a bundle that will work out great for that and for making wall hangings.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:27 PM

Ya know. I think it would help me if the wagon had seat belts! or a harness! or rubber band that would snap me back if tried to get into the fab store. Still to figure out the Internet shopping issue. Doing OK so far but every day is a hassle.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Ya know. I think it would help me if the wagon had seat belts! or a harness! or rubber band that would snap me back if tried to get into the fab store. Still to figure out the Internet shopping issue. Doing OK so far but every day is a hassle.
You’re so funny.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:44 PM

Weekly check-in. No purchases this week. Did get some scraps that have given me hours of fun. Need more scraps to finish the project. If anyone wants to send scraps my way, PM me.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:54 AM

Stopped at thrift store and there it was ! 3 yards of print fabric and 3 yards red dot $7. each. A large bundle of good size scraps (each around 18” or more) $2.50 for all. I’m kinda proud because I could’ve bought a lot more - but I resisted.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:49 AM

You are hilarious. I know we can do it.

Today I climb up on the train for this ride. I did do a little buying right after Christmas. I have finally received in all of what I ordered. So, it's safe to hop aboard and continue my journey in only buying if I truly need it, not want it. I have plenty. I do not need to buy. I have plenty. I do not need to buy. I am happy with what I have right now. I'm definitely trying to convince myself. But, all the pretty fabric calls my name. But, I am not sewing nearly fast enough to not outgrow my space. So, I really need to be on this train ride for as long as it takes to retrain my brain. And stay responsible for my OCD tendencies. I do not need all the pretty fabric. Looking is fine. No Buying unless absolutely needed. Do you think if I say this enough it will work. lol
Old 01-17-2023, 10:27 AM

Well, last night I finished a gift baby quilt using fabric I had in my stock........completely. No purchase required! Nothing...nada! I even pieced batting I had on hand too. And, I have enough left over to make another for Project Linus! Finally...this year is going to be the one that I use what I have! One down, many, many more to go!
Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 AM

No fabric purchases so far. On the other hand, because of a foot injury, I still have a limited ability to sew, so nothing went out the door, either. I was able to start on a new project - all from stash, and am working on something that I started last year, but didn't finish - again all from stash, including some fabric that I didn't even know I had.

Because my sewing space is such a mess, I decided to do Karen Brown's Decluttering Challenge. I'm behind, so I just saw the video on cutting mats and rulers. My 6.5" X 24" ruler is chipped and many of the markings are wearing off and have been for some time, so this gave me the impetus to purchase a new one. I figure I don't really need any new fabric, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other things that I could buy - especially when it is something like this that I really need to replace.

I wonder if the last day of the decluttering challenge might bring the opportunity to go through the fabric stash. Not sure that I need to get rid of much of it, but it could do with some organizing that would make some of those older fabrics easier to find and use up.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:29 PM

How about a set of bungie cords. If we slip off they will snap us back into our seats? Tee-Hee-Hee.

To help me with online shopping, I have deleted most of the online shops. If I don't see it, I can't be lured into random shopping. It works for me but it took a while. I also do not yield to the "sign up for our newsletter" requests.

I just found out this afternoon that one of the shops in Shipshewana is going to have a 30% off sale on everything in the store in February. I need a new cutting mat and rotary blades. OK those are fabric, but the the 30% will also apply to the fabric sale room. That puts fabric down to slightly less than $5 a yard. My plan is to review all the UFO's that need backs, and the kitted quilts that need backing and shop from my list only. By adding the backs, I can get these little honeys OUT THE DOOR!.

The sale will happen in about a month, so I have time to save and to plan just what is needed allowing me to scoot around what is wanted.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-17-2023 at 05:34 PM.