Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-18-2023, 03:44 AM

Teach you have my permission to go shopping! Sounds like you will be buying stuff you need to make/finish quilts. Buying mats and blades are required for our/your "therapy". Right? Have fun! Go early. Make room in your car and fabrc area! Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:11 AM

Default Storing Kits

When you make up a kit what do you include and what do you store it in?
Old 01-18-2023, 04:46 AM

I usually start with a pattern that I know I MAY sew up in the future. I start with focus fabric that MAY be yardage. Find coordinating fabric. that works with the pattern. I store all the fab and pattern in a zip lock bag with the pattern inside. I have a plastic tub where all mly kits are so when I just want to sew something, I shop my kits. I took one day a couple months ago and shopped my stash and made kits. I sew for Project Linus and this is a great way for me to be able to turn in at least 4 large quilts every month.

I make a lot of skakeboard quilts so I have a zip lock bag with perfect fabric.

Have fun shopping your stash.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MWB53 View Post
I put the pattern, book or printed directions, and the needed fabric in a small bin or box. In the past year I was given several of the 12x12X2 craft boxes with the snap tops. They work well but I also use clear plastic bags from a local quilt store. For me this keeps all the needed "pieces" together and it becomes a future project. Kind of a step 1. Benefit: I don't use the fabric for another project and have a plan to do the pattern that caught my eye and not forget it.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Stopped at thrift store and there it was ! 3 yards of print fabric and 3 yards red dot $7. each. A large bundle of good size scraps (each around 18” or more) $2.50 for all. I’m kinda proud because I could’ve bought a lot more - but I resisted.
Sigh. I also fell off the wagon in front of a thrift store. In my defence, it was my neighbour who casually mentioned that they had a new load of quilting fabric there... and while I did manage to resist for a whole day, yesterday I just couldn't do it any more. I came home with three potential backings for baby/lap quilts (which I'm not actually making right now so shame on me!) and three small bundles of random strips. It could have been worse, but I'm still a bit miffed at myself.

So... back up on my feet, hopping on the wagon again and going off to cut some more stash for my current project! :-D
Old 01-18-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MWB53 View Post
When I make up a kit, I cut the fabric (except possibly the borders), and construct units to whatever point makes the best sense for storage in a plastic grocery bag. Sometimes this means just the cut fabric, other times it means constructed units, other times it means constructed blocks. I then use boxes approximately the size of the large-size priority mail box, and store 3-5 kits in each box.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 PM

Gemm, come on up and get comfortable next to me. I think your fabric finds are going to be needed this year so good for you for recycling and planning ahead!
Old 01-20-2023, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the boost, ibex94! So glad to have such congenial travelling companions on this wagon!
Old 01-21-2023, 09:24 PM

So far I seem to have found a set of seat belts to keep me sitting in this wagon. The ride has gotten a bit bumpy but I have kept busy with my desire to organize and get my sewing projects, fabric, etc. under control. On a good note, I'm finishing up a UFO from 2021 and found the perfect backing fabric for this one in my stash ......... now I can stay away from LQS temptation.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:44 AM

I hate to be an enabler, but I think anyone who can get fabric for $5/yard or less, or purchase from thift store.......they should get a bit of a "pass". In the future, I think it's going to be harder and harder to find those deals! Sorry, I also enabled myself and purchased a yard and 2/3 at Hobby Lobby of the "perfect" orange I needed to finish a scrappy quilt for $3.00/yard! It was in the clearance section......I know....I should stay away from the store entirely!!! I think I like the idea of seat belts, but mine might need to be made of bungee cord! Tee-hee.