Newbies challenge

Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Dori if I can help you , I have tons of patience when it comes to teaching. I am doing 2 Dear Janes. one is just scrappy fabrics and one is totaly in assorted blues with a white sashing. Alos do needle turn scenic quilts. Go to the topic Barn Quilt that is the one I just finished. Jo
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM

I made my first quilt last week and I am hooked!!! Love it. I started another quilt last night with left over material and some I rec'd from friends. I was sewing away and got up for a glass of water and it was 12am!! I finished my quilt today except for the binding since I decided that the binding should be a solid color. So far I find the putting on the binding is the hardest. You can view my projects on Thriftyideas.com - I can't wait to finish my 2nd quilt and start another. I already have the fabrics but waiting for my friend to come over to do the around the world quilt in a day.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Congratulations! It is SO exciting to finish a quilt so quickly. I also do quilts very quickly so I can relate. Remember to take pictures of each quilt as you finish them. It's amazing how quickly you forget the details.
Would love to see a picture too! Patt
Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM

GDAY, I can't believe that you finish the quilt b4 starting another. LOL, my sister and I seem to start the next one and sorta put the quilt top aside. I have 2 quilt tops to do, but at least i have 12 weeks for one and 6 months for the other to bind and complete. I hope i get them done in time. i must admit i loved the 'quilt as you go' method and i have finished 2 of those. They are so easy and fun to do. the pattern was "Fancy Free" :)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM

sorry...my pictures of the quilts are on thriftyideastoday.com - I am still tired from quilting all night.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM

I think I have been sewing most of my life and now in retirement....I have fulfilled my ambition to teach others....While in AZ for the winter...I teach several different types of quilts and crafts...I love the simple ones that look intricate... While in AZ I took a teaching certificate class from Kay Wood... now that class was such an eye opener.... her methods are awesome! I also do a lot of Stack n Whack, Strip Quilting and whatever looks inviting...If any "Newbies" are interested, I'd be more than honoured to share my knowledge....there are tricks to sashing & mitering corners......
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM

I am very interested in the stack and whack method. I just can't seem to get it.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Hi !
I'm a newbie to quilting, but have sewn clothing for decades. I'm having trouble doing machine quilting, especially when you let down the feed dogs and use a darning foot. Without following lines, it looks like a mess. With the lines it's not much better! Help!
Rilene
Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
sorry...my pictures of the quilts are on thriftyideastoday.com - I am still tired from quilting all night.
I decided to put on a few more butterflies...Love it! This quilt will get a lot of use. My husband likes how its light in weight. He and my cats are enjoying it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Hi Rilene

Check out this blog. She has hundreds of free videos for free motion quilting designs. The only way to master FMQ is thru lots of practice. I made a bunch of practice quilt sandwiches and spent time getting used to how my machine "feels".

I still make up a sample quilt to practice on before I will start on a finished quilt.

HTH~ Annette