Newbies challenge

Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?
So take the best of both. Get someone to teach you and you teach someone with less experience. Share, share, share!!! :-D
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CasaManana
Hi everybody,
I'd love to help! brand new, relatively new, people 'in the middle' - If I don't have an answer to your question, I'll find the answer. As a note to 'QuiltingGrannie' - most of the time, I prefer to free motion with my feed dogs up. It's probably technically incorrect to do it that way, but I feel that I have much more control over what I'm doing with them up.
don't abandon the idea of fm just because you can't adjust the the feed dogs. Send me an email and we can discuss it further if you'd like.
Casa2Manana
(aka Vicky) :D
Vicky! Where are you in CO??? I'm in Grand Jct!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM

Great Idea, Mosquitosewgirl, I will try to help you. I don't know how this works on here but I'll give it a try. I teach beginning quilting in my home. I also come to the quilt shows in that erea.

Cookie
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM

What a great idea. I would be willing to share what I have learned and hopefully learn more in the process. I have done paper piecing, curved piecing and machine applique. I usually miter corners. I'm a stickler for accuracy but love the creative side! Right now my goal is to develop myself into more of an art quilter than a traditional quilt maker. I have used a long arm, but prefer to hire it professionally done. I'm working at improving my FM quilting skills, but I have along way to go to meet my expectations. If interested, PM me.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
HI all.....I am willing to help with what I know?? Does anyone want me for a Mommy??
Let's see I don't know how to hand quilt...B/c I have never tried and I can't say that I know how to FMQ..unless it is a small project b/c I have only ever long armed my quilts??
I DO know how to applique, paper peice and peice?? I don't know..I produce alot of quilts but I think all of us feel like beginners because we learn new things all of the time....so I guess I can try to lead because I don't feel like a "true" beginner?? If that makes sense?
Hey - I'd love to learn to Paper Piece. I've read bazillions of instructions - even tried to "just do it" and I am just not getting it! I also have only done machine quilting - no long arm though - just sticth in a ditch. AND I live in WA!!!!!!! What do you think?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM

I have two "daughters" tip and farnsworth. I am open to adopting another one, if interested PM me.

Boxer Mom, that quilt is beautiful!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Boxermom, your quilt is beautiful!

Cookie
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I love it too. I was afraid it was going to be too wild with the bright colors, but I didn't care because I like the colors and it is me.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cookie's Crafts
Boxermom, your quilt is beautiful!

Cookie
Where in NV. are you? I am origanlly from LV. and will be coming home for a visit in June.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Originally Posted by CasaManana
Hi everybody,
I'd love to help! brand new, relatively new, people 'in the middle' - If I don't have an answer to your question, I'll find the answer. As a note to 'QuiltingGrannie' - most of the time, I prefer to free motion with my feed dogs up. It's probably technically incorrect to do it that way, but I feel that I have much more control over what I'm doing with them up.
don't abandon the idea of fm just because you can't adjust the the feed dogs. Send me an email and we can discuss it further if you'd like.
Casa2Manana
(aka Vicky) :D

Vicky! Where are you in CO??? I'm in Grand Jct!

I am in Palmer Lake (by Monument) CO.