Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beans For Breakfast >

Beans For Breakfast

Beans For Breakfast

Old 07-06-2021, 06:39 AM

My DH loves breakfast & it's really his most important meal to him. He IS a strange eater, however. Right now he is on a kick of eating a bowl of pinto beans along with bbq'ed ribs for breakfast.

Hey, did you know that you can freeze eggs? When we had chickens we always had way to many eggs for us to eat so I gave dozens & dozens away to co-workers & friends. Then.....after we had to get rid of our chickens, I discovered that you can freeze eggs. I like to freeze mine in a small container (like a ice cube tray, etc.) After they are frozen, I pop them out & the re-freeze them in food saver bags. That way I can get all the air out of the bag & they store for a lot longer than in a regular zip freezer bag.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/p...ow-freeze-eggs
Old 07-06-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
When we were in Egypt the hotel breakfast rooms always had a section for serving local breakfast foods and one for Western. I wanted to eat what the locals eat so enjoyed the uncrowded buffet while my fellow travellers ate what they could eat at home. This dish became one of my favourites.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...medames-352993
JanieW, I saw that recipe too, yesterday, while I was searching for bean recipes. It looks yummy and healthy too. I bookmarked it. (I'm jealous that you got to go to Egypt. It's on my bucket list.)

I'm leaning more towards plant-based recipes. One of my go-to recipes is a Chickpea Omelet. There are no eggs in it and it is more tender and fragile than an egg omelet, so it's a little more difficult to get out of the pan and have a decent presentation, but it is really, really good! There are many versions. Here's one from Forks Over Knives:https://www.forksoverknives.com/reci...ickpea-omelet/
Old 07-06-2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
My DH loves breakfast & it's really his most important meal to him. He IS a strange eater, however. Right now he is on a kick of eating a bowl of pinto beans along with bbq'ed ribs for breakfast.

Hey, did you know that you can freeze eggs? When we had chickens we always had way to many eggs for us to eat so I gave dozens & dozens away to co-workers & friends. Then.....after we had to get rid of our chickens, I discovered that you can freeze eggs. I like to freeze mine in a small container (like a ice cube tray, etc.) After they are frozen, I pop them out & the re-freeze them in food saver bags. That way I can get all the air out of the bag & they store for a lot longer than in a regular zip freezer bag.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/p...ow-freeze-eggs
Yeah...I'm going to have to freeze some eggs. Thanks for the idea. My hubby is freaking out over the huge back stock of eggs we are accumulating in the outside fridge. I wanted to sell them on our road, but he's not going for it, so hence, he won't cut the plywood for my "Eggs" sign. :::sigh:::
Old 07-07-2021, 08:05 AM

Bean burritos make a good breakfast when you're in a hurry. They can be made ahead of time, then heated up.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:00 PM

Bean-Cauliflower "Alfredo sauce" with spinach and mushrooms over whole wheat toast. I've seen lots of vegan, Alfredo recipes, but not using beans and cauliflower. I haven't tried this sauce yet, but we're having it tomorrow for breakfast. Here's my plan:

Toast the bread, put a layer of lightly seasoned, steamed spinach on the toast, highly season and grill the mushrooms, (ie: mushroom "bacon,") place on top of spinach, cover with Alfredo sauce. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

Oops...forgot to post the actual recipe for the sauce. There are several that I found today, but I'm going with this one: https://simple-veganista.com/cannell...36-jump-target . It's got less oil in it than the others. I also saw one that suggested that you roast the cauliflower in the oven, instead of steaming it, for depth of flavor. It's too hot for that today.

Last edited by tropit; 07-07-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Bean-Cauliflower "Alfredo sauce" with spinach and mushrooms over whole wheat toast. I've seen lots of vegan, Alfredo recipes, but not using beans and cauliflower. I haven't tried this sauce yet, but we're having it tomorrow for breakfast. Here's my plan:

Toast the bread, put a layer of lightly seasoned, steamed spinach on the toast, highly season and grill the mushrooms, (ie: mushroom "bacon,") place on top of spinach, cover with Alfredo sauce. I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.

Oops...forgot to post the actual recipe for the sauce. There are several that I found today, but I'm going with this one: https://simple-veganista.com/cannell...36-jump-target . It's got less oil in it than the others. I also saw one that suggested that you roast the cauliflower in the oven, instead of steaming it, for depth of flavor. It's too hot for that today.
OK...here's the review of this sauce..

Pretty good! I was surprised at how good it was. I was expecting a grainy, bland sauce, but it was really very creamy and rich. I did add more nutritional yeast, a little garlic and S&P to amp up the flavor. I also traded the spinach in for kale and blended it into the sauce, so it was not white, but light green. I have leftover sauce, so it will be good with some pasta, or other veggies s/a broccoli, or cauliflower later in the week. Honestly, I don't think that your family, or guests would ever know that this was not a traditional white sauce. This is also a good sauce for those of you that are trying to limit your fat and carb intake.

BTW, I don't represent these recipe sites in any way. Some of them want you to join their club and whatnot and I don't propose that you do that. I just find their recipes are worth looking at. My only goal is to slowly change my eating habits for better ones and share any recipe finds with you.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:08 AM

We have over 30 chicks wandering around here! When they start laying this fall, I will be freezing eggs! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-15-2021, 08:52 AM

We made some garbanzo bean "hash browns" the other morning. Good! They filled that desire for that "greasy spoon" menu item, but without all of the fat and starches. I didn't have a specific recipe. I just used the food processor to chop up some onions, bell pepper, canned garbanzos, seasonings, etc. I added a little oat flour and some ground, flax seed to help bind it all together. Sauteed them in a pan with just a little olive oil. They came out crispy on the outside and creamy/crunchy on the inside.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:56 AM

That sounds like a falafel variation of some type. Personally I love falafel but as the joke goes I have had some pretty awful falafel too. Crisp is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falafel
Old 07-16-2021, 05:23 AM

I'm gonna make some old fashioned, baked beans this weekend. Those are always nice to have in the morning.