Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to get rich, dark gravy >

How to get rich, dark gravy

How to get rich, dark gravy

Old 11-19-2022, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I would love to hear how you make gravy. I am always up for learning a chef's way.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:34 PM

Another tip...be sure to use the turkey fat that you skim off of the broth for making the roux.

Also, use a little white, not red wine near the end.

Last edited by tropit; 11-19-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:55 AM

I politely beg to differ on using something like Kitchen Bouquet, or Bouquet Garni. My mom used to use that product and it is nice for making things a rich brown color and it does add some sort of flavor, although I'm not sure what that flavor is exactly. IMHO, it really pays to go slow and roast things first. The flavor will be so much more intense and more like roasted turkey.

As for my step by step recipe...I'll try to post it if I have some time.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I can't get any better flavor then Better then Bullion base. Even roasting a pot roast low and slow the bullion paste elevates it one step more. Comes in base of ham, chicken turkey, beef, chili, mushroom, sauteed onion, vegetable, and vegan stuff too, I keep two of each in my pantry. https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/
Old 11-21-2022, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I would love to hear how you make gravy. I am always up for learning a chef's way.
OK, my dear, here ya go...

My roasted turkey gravy

Turkey fat, chicken fat, butter or bacon fat
Flour
Rich, roasted broth with meat and giblet bits (see my instructions above)
Herbs
Salt
Pepper
Dash of white wine

The key to making excellent gravy is to start with a good, brown, lump free roux. A roux is made with a few tablespoons of fat (I like to use the turkey fat and brown bits that are left in the roaster when the bird comes out of the oven,) The fat is melted into a wide pan, then four is added, a tablespoon at a time, heated on low to medium stove top, whisking until it all comes together into a soft mass. It shouldn’t be loose and oily, but it shouldn’t be a solid brick either…somewhere in between.

Keep whisking it continuously over a medium-low heat until you see the floury mass starts to turn a light, golden brown. You don’t want to burn the flour, but you don’t want it bright, white either. You also want most of the lumps to disappear as you stir. The idea is to toast the flour and coat each speck of flour with fat, so that it won’t glob together when you add the liquid.

When the roux is ready, slowly add your broth, about a cup at a time, while continuing to stir it with the whisk. If all goes well, the only lumps that you will see are the meat bits. Continue adding the broth, a cup at a time, until you have a rich, dark, golden-brown gravy. Add a big splash of white wine, (dry sherry is nice too,) at the end and cook for a couple minutes more to burn off the alcohol. Season with a little poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Serve.

*If your gravy is still lumpy, cool it off and pour it into a blender to smooth it out. Be careful and work in small batches so you don’t get burned. Reheat and serve.

Last edited by tropit; 11-21-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I can't get any better flavor then Better then Bullion base. Even roasting a pot roast low and slow the bullion paste elevates it one step more. Comes in base of ham, chicken turkey, beef, chili, mushroom, sauteed onion, vegetable, and vegan stuff too, I keep two of each in my pantry. https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/
I like that product too. I keep a jar of the vegetable version in my fridge all the time.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Thank you so much for being so detailed while explaining the gravy recipe. I make southern biscuits and gravy, so I make a roux when I make that and so I understand what you are explaining here. My parents taught me.

I will use the roasted veggies broth the next time, for sure. I also use the Better than Bullion to make gravy or sauce. But you are a real pro and I appreciate the instructions. Thank you so much again for your time and expertise on the matter.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

tropit- if I lived at your house I'd weigh 500 pounds LOL! Everything you talk about makes me hungry.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on the 500 lb. If I lived at tropic’s house.😂
Old 11-29-2022, 01:33 PM

Well...I don't weigh 500 pounds...yet...I'm going back on WW the first of the year.

What can I say, it's the holidays. One turkey dinner won't make you 500 pounds.