Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New, unusual ingredients, pleasant surprises

New, unusual ingredients, pleasant surprises

What are some of the new ingredients and products that you've tried lately? They may have sounded bad, but tasted great. Here are some of mY recent finds:

Pea milk by "Ripple"- A little starchy, very slight green hue, but tastes awesome.

Aquafaba- It's the liquid left in the can of beans, usually garbanzos. It whips up like whipped cream. Tastes great, a little on the light side in texture compared to whipped cream.

Gochujang- Korean, fermented chili paste. OMG...SO GOOD!!!
    The mother of all great hot sauces and pastes. It has a depth of flavor that nothing else does. A little goes a long ways.

Seaweed crackers- They look aweful, green and dry, but they're actually pretty tasty and healthy too.

Power Poster
    I have been waiting for pasta made from chick peas but haven't found them yet. I am also waiting for Kalettes to be available, they are a cross of kale and brossil sprouts. Your products sound intriguing.

Chick pea pasta is available but probably not in your local market.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...hick+pea+pasta
    Alyce

Lemon flavored marshmallows with chia seeds, and coffee flavored marshmallows. Addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have been waiting for pasta made from chick peas but haven't found them yet. I am also waiting for Kalettes to be available, they are a cross of kale and brossil sprouts. Your products sound intriguing.
    I wonder if you could make homemade pasta from chickpea flour, which is readily available? You've got me inspired. I'm going to have to try to make that soon.

~ C

Blog Entries
    Brown Jasmine rice. Fabulous!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Well, I have not actually tried them yet, but I got a few microwave dinners from SmartOnes. They look pretty good, and they are only two dollars.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Madamekelly, where did you find brown jasmine rice ?

sometime is not the look or the name of food! the smell and if you are hungry, we eat anything on sight!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emt2004 View Post
    Madamekelly, where did you find brown jasmine rice ?
    The brand name is “Three Elephants Brand” and we found it in a 5lb. bag at a local grocery wholesaler called “Grocery Outlet”.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    What are some of the new ingredients and products that you've tried lately? They may have sounded bad, but tasted great. Here are some of mY recent finds:

Pea milk by "Ripple"- A little starchy, very slight green hue, but tastes awesome.

Aquafaba- It's the liquid left in the can of beans, usually garbanzos. It whips up like whipped cream. Tastes great, a little on the light side in texture compared to whipped cream.

Gochujang- Korean, fermented chili paste. OMG...SO GOOD!!!
    The mother of all great hot sauces and pastes. It has a depth of flavor that nothing else does. A little goes a long ways.

Seaweed crackers- They look aweful, green and dry, but they're actually pretty tasty and healthy too.
    I started drinking Silk Almond Coconut milk...it is absolutely wonderful in a smoothie.
    Please spay or neuter your pets.
    Adopt a pet...Save a Life.

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
    I started drinking Silk Almond Coconut milk...it is absolutely wonderful in a smoothie.
    Recipe please

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Recipe please
    No real recipe...ice in the blender, then maybe a cup or less of the milk, plain nonfat yogurt, vanilla flavoring (like DaVincis flavoring they use at Starbucks), some kind of flavored protein powder (like slimfast powder), then as much water as I think is needed to make a decent size smoothie. Blend and pour.
    Please spay or neuter your pets.
    Adopt a pet...Save a Life.

So Delicious coconut milk yogurt is great to add to a curry. It really gives it an authentic, Indian taste. It's also yummy in a fruit smoothy.

Sorry none of the above even sounds good to me. I don't like to try new foods.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Jingle, I have to chuckle reading what you wrote. I had a childhood of very little variety in foods. Had I not been adventurous with food, I would never have discovered the joy of real spaghetti, Mexican food, Chinese food, steak, cheddar cheese, yogurt, fresh tomatoes, oranges anytime I wanted (not just for Christmas), the list goes on and on. All I can say is, at least once try jasmine rice. It smells so good I would wear it as perfume, and tastes just as good, even plain.

I had a cold couscous salad with little chunks of veggies at a restaurant this week. It was so good. I'd love to find a recipe for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    Jingle, I have to chuckle reading what you wrote. I had a childhood of very little variety in foods. Had I not been adventurous with food, I would never have discovered the joy of real spaghetti, Mexican food, Chinese food, steak, cheddar cheese, yogurt, fresh tomatoes, oranges anytime I wanted (not just for Christmas), the list goes on and on. All I can say is, at least once try jasmine rice. It smells so good I would wear it as perfume, and tastes just as good, even plain.
    I totally agree, we were raised on potatoes and beans. I love food, and will try just about everything. One night while at my favorite Jamaican place they asked me if I was jamaican, (I don't even come close to sounding or looking the part so that surprised me) I told them no, they ask if I was married to one, no, Then she said she wondering why I came in so much, I told her life was too short to limit my choices of food to what I was brought up on. I look at it this way, we have to eat to survive and I love to eat and have no problem that I love to do what I have to do. Now if I could just feel that way about exercising. In the mean time I'll continue to try new things, eating out and cooking at home.
    Judy

Walmart here has the vegetable pasta and the bean/pea pasta. I bought some but haven't made it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I'm so like you! I have a very bland palate. I don't like anything spicy, or hot. I don't like texture..(think cornmeal)...don't use pepper either. I cook, and they add their seasoning at the table. If DH cooks, he sets a portion aside for me before he adds spices. My DH and sons eat everything under the sun! I just like the basics.

Unfortunately, there are very few foods I don't like!

Ghee Clarified butter. It tastes rich and toasty. Adds a lot of flavor. Commercial almond milk has exactly three whole almonds in it, the rest is water, nutrients and flavoring. That's why it's so inexpensive. To make real almond milk worth drinking you need a lot of almonds and a little water in a high speed blender. Try it. It tastes amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    Ghee Clarified butter. It tastes rich and toasty. Adds a lot of flavor. Commercial almond milk has exactly three whole almonds in it, the rest is water, nutrients and flavoring. That's why it's so inexpensive. To make real almond milk worth drinking you need a lot of almonds and a little water in a high speed blender. Try it. It tastes amazing.
    I make homemade almond milk all the time. It's easy...just a little messy. It also tastes delicious...very almondy. If you don't want your milk to separate in your coffee, just add a pinch, or two of xanthum gum to the finished milk and reblend. I think that you can also use guar gum, but I haven't tried that yet.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Unfortunately, there are very few foods I don't like!
    Ditto here...I Love food!

Last night I made, "Jacked Up Ribs," which aren't animal based, but made with jackfruit and vital wheat gluten. My husband loves them. If interested, you can find the recipe on fatfreevegan.com.

~ C
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2017 at 05:22 AM. Reason: shouting

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Well, I have not actually tried them yet, but I got a few microwave dinners from SmartOnes. They look pretty good, and they are only two dollars.
    we used to buy them for my mom. She was a bit picky but always liked them, were just the right size for her and easy for her to fix

Forgot to add-my DD got beets in her co-op veggies and make beet cake and also used some in the icing. Was very good, looked a bit like red velvet cake.
    Last edited by bakermom; 10-20-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast