Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
New, unusual ingredients,  pleasant surprises >

New, unusual ingredients, pleasant surprises

New, unusual ingredients, pleasant surprises

Old 10-19-2017, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, there are very few foods I don't like!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Ghee Clarified butter. It tastes rich and toasty. Adds a lot of flavor. Commercial almond milk has exactly three whole almonds in it, the rest is water, nutrients and flavoring. That's why it's so inexpensive. To make real almond milk worth drinking you need a lot of almonds and a little water in a high speed blender. Try it. It tastes amazing.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
Ghee Clarified butter. It tastes rich and toasty. Adds a lot of flavor. Commercial almond milk has exactly three whole almonds in it, the rest is water, nutrients and flavoring. That's why it's so inexpensive. To make real almond milk worth drinking you need a lot of almonds and a little water in a high speed blender. Try it. It tastes amazing.
I make homemade almond milk all the time. It's easy...just a little messy. It also tastes delicious...very almondy. If you don't want your milk to separate in your coffee, just add a pinch, or two of xanthum gum to the finished milk and reblend. I think that you can also use guar gum, but I haven't tried that yet.

~ C
Old 10-20-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Unfortunately, there are very few foods I don't like!
Ditto here...I Love food!

Last night I made, "Jacked Up Ribs," which aren't animal based, but made with jackfruit and vital wheat gluten. My husband loves them. If interested, you can find the recipe on fatfreevegan.com.

~ C

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2017 at 05:22 AM. Reason: shouting
Old 10-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Well, I have not actually tried them yet, but I got a few microwave dinners from SmartOnes. They look pretty good, and they are only two dollars.
we used to buy them for my mom. She was a bit picky but always liked them, were just the right size for her and easy for her to fix

Forgot to add-my DD got beets in her co-op veggies and make beet cake and also used some in the icing. Was very good, looked a bit like red velvet cake.

Last edited by bakermom; 10-20-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:43 AM

This may not be so new to others, but I love Kombucha. It's a drink that is made from fermented, sweetened, black tea. It's fizzy, tart and very refreshing. I've been keeping a batch going for a few years right now. I like to mix it with a little fruit juice s/a cherry, or grape. You can also buy it premade in the stores, but I love making it and keeping my grocery bill down.

Ginger Bug is another fermented drink that I want to try to make.

~ C
Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Jingle, I have to chuckle reading what you wrote. I had a childhood of very little variety in foods. Had I not been adventurous with food, I would never have discovered the joy of real spaghetti, Mexican food, Chinese food, steak, cheddar cheese, yogurt, fresh tomatoes, oranges anytime I wanted (not just for Christmas), the list goes on and on. All I can say is, at least once try jasmine rice. It smells so good I would wear it as perfume, and tastes just as good, even plain.
This also made me laugh. I was an adult before trying Chinese, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and even some Italian dishes. But my friends loved to come to our house to try dishes they'd never had before. Ours was a southern family in the north. Rice was a breakfast cereal with sugar and butter, tomatoes were picked green and fried, brussel sprouts fried in bacon grease, and oh my .... yummy yummy fried applesauce.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:29 AM

And how could I forget....chess pie. My daughter brought a friend home from college two weeks ago with a special request for chess pie.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM

"Fried applesauce"...how do you do that?

What about black garlic? I have some and a good cookbook that has recipes that call for it, but I've never tried it.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:47 PM

I am lucky that one of my sons is also an adventuresome eater. We love trying new foods and new ways of cooking the basics.

Did you know that adding a few green cardamom pods to Basmati rice takes it to a whole new level? I learned that from one of my Saudi classmates. My family background is from the British Isles, but I love eating Middle Eastern, Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Afghan Foods and more. I got to try Eritrean food this past May, oh my it was good. I had the best meal of my life in London in June, at an Indian restaurant. Turns out it even has a Michelin star. We did not know that when we popped in for lunch.

Although I like spicy food, I love food with layers of flavour. There is a Turkish Afghan restaurant in Burnaby BC, just a small place in a strip mall, but the food is just incredible.

Yes, we still have meatloaf, with squash and baked potatoes, but the next night we may have butter chicken stuffed baked potatoes. I always cook a couple extra spuds.