Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you still have your wedding dress? >

do you still have your wedding dress?

do you still have your wedding dress?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Yes. And my daughter's wedding dress. I have started to use laces, appliques and the fabric of hers for gifts. She has 3 daughers from a 2nd marriage and I don't see her 2nd ex allowing any of his daughters to wear that dress. Will probably use mine for other ideas as well. 46 years ago the styles were so different. And my granddaughters are all a minimum of i7" taller than me..lol
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I have my dress as well. We just celebrated 10 years. I'm not sure anyone will wear it again as styleschange so fast, but it is too special to let go. I love the idea of displaying dresses at an anniversary party. I've never seen it done, but will tuck it away for future events.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM

I have mine, and my daughter wore it when she got married. I know my granddaughters will never be able to wear it as I am vertically challanged and they will probably be over 5'5" I would never be able to get it on now as I weighted 92 lbs when I got married.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM

still have mine--store bought, off the rack, oyster grey minidress, from 1968. "eloped" to south dakota, with my folk's knowledge, got snowbound in a blizzard on the way there. spent the first night in a farmhouse with about 20 others who'd sought refuge from the storm, and the lovely family who took us in (thank you, still, 43 years later, the harry peters' family!), spent 8 hours driving only 14 miles the next day--too much snow, drifts 20 feet high in some places, single lane traffic-- and found a motel; ended up getting married on christmas eve morning. changed into my dress in a texaco gas station bathroom, got married by the JP, and got back to the twin cities in time to have the big family christmas eve celebration as our "reception". my dress is in the family trunk of "artifacts", with other things that figure in the family "mythos".
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM
mim

what a lovely story !!!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I still have mine and my daughter wore it in the play, "Little House of Whores". I had to velcro the back and add a big bow because she tore the zipper out during rehearsal. We have been married for 35 years and up until about 5 years ago I could still fit into the dress. It's folded up in a box and the veil is in a bag. I guess it is now in the dress up stuff for future grandkids.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM

I still have mine that my Mom made. Also have the veil (now gray) and my wedding cake topper. I look at the dress now and think it must have been made for a Barbie doll. Hard to believe I was that size 40 years ago!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
KLO

My daughter has mine now. Never thought she would want to wear it when she was going through her teens so I just folded it up not very carefully and stuffed it in the cedar chest. Never even had it cleaned. However, when she got married in 2002, I sent it to her and told her she could use it or not, up to her and that was assuming it was wearable. She had it cleaned and some small repairs then, unbelievably, wore it. It was just a little tight for her especially in the shoulders but she looked great. It was a simple dress so she was willing to wear it. We had a little photo of me on one of the reception tables wearing that dress back in 1968. I am still stunned that she wore the dress but she did mentally mature nicely as she got into her 20's.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM

My dress is hanging in my Mom's closet. My sister made it and it hung in a Joann's Fabric for a month. The fabric was half price and all the notions were free for letting them display it. (That was 31 years ago.)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Yes, it was cleaned and put in an archival box. I had 3 girls but they will never use it :? Guess I should drag it out and make a quilt out of it. It was soooo cool with a detachable train and a really long veil with lots of lace. Hmmm, I'm blaming this endeavor on you :shock: :lol: