2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Maggie8801, I'm gradually working on reorganizing my space too! I don't know that I have a gazillion FQ's (but maybe I do, and just haven't seen them yet! )
However, I think a good pattern to use up some of the FQ's is Bonnie Hunter's "Pineapple Blossom"
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...e-blossom.html

I love this pattern - EVERYTHING looks good in it, and it's not hard at all. Works up really fast too!
Once I get the three customer quilts out of the way, I should be able to get a little more organizing done. Your comment about the storage containers sort of got me wondering though... I've been buying the "shoebox" clear plastic containers ($1) from Dollar General, and I'm finding that being able to SEE what I have is a great incentive for me to (1) not buy any more fabric, because - DUH - it's all right there in front of my face and (2) I can see my UFO's more easily and am more motivated to get them out of the way.

My last order came in yesterday from Craftsy - two kits that were 60% off (or more). Since I ordered them in 2016, that doesn't count as me falling off the wagon, right?!?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM

I'm making a birthday reminder wall hanging. There is a base unit and then 12 smaller units that snap onto the center of it for each of the months. When I started, the week before Christmas, I thought I'd have to buy coordinating fabric. I pulled out my stash from everywhere and low and behold no buying trips yet. Just look at me grin
Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Since I ordered them in 2016, that doesn't count as me falling off the wagon, right?!?
If ordered between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve, then you are in the clear.

I agree - it does help to SEE what you got. I'm a visual person and out of sight = out of mind.

Rhonda Lee, that does feel like a win when the stash aligns. I wonder how the reminder part works.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Default A Finish!

Here's the finished quilt. You can't really see the quilting, which is just as well since my FMQ needs work!
But UH OH! A pile of scraps left over ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564994[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mosaic-done-2.jpg   mosaic-scraps.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Here's the finished quilt. You can't really see the quilting, which is just as well since my FMQ needs work!
But UH OH! A pile of scraps left over ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564994[/ATTACH]
Wow, if I had that combination of material there is no way in the world I would put it together to make a quilt, but look at the beautiful quilt you made with it. Very nice and it works. Amazing. I need to let go of my "match this with that" attitude and maybe I can use up more of my stuff, lol. It is a real blessing to know others have a sizeable stash too, now I don't feel so bad.......sort of.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Wow, if I had that combination of material there is no way in the world I would put it together to make a quilt, but look at the beautiful quilt you made with it. Very nice and it works. Amazing. I need to let go of my "match this with that" attitude and maybe I can use up more of my stuff, lol. It is a real blessing to know others have a sizeable stash too, now I don't feel so bad.......sort of.
The "let go of match this/match that" attitude works really well with the Pineapple Blossom pattern I linked previously. It doesn't even matter overmuch about lights/mediums/darks, except for the corner triangles. And I'm thinking that my next one, I may "reverse" my triangles from light/white to very dark/black and see what happens to the rest of the quilt with that kind of contrast.

Krystyna, love the UFO finish... and it looks like "newly retired hubby" does too!! Use those scraps for leaders and enders and you'll have another quilt ready in no time!!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
The "let go of match this/match that" attitude works really well with the Pineapple Blossom pattern I linked previously. It doesn't even matter overmuch about lights/mediums/darks, except for the corner triangles. And I'm thinking that my next one, I may "reverse" my triangles from light/white to very dark/black and see what happens to the rest of the quilt with that kind of contrast.

Krystyna, love the UFO finish... and it looks like "newly retired hubby" does too!! Use those scraps for leaders and enders and you'll have another quilt ready in no time!!
I did check out the pineapple, rather interesting might give it a go. Right now still fighting with the stripe thing and have a fishing one to finish up. Progress that is what counts with no money spent, lol. Have to show me your pineapple with the dark.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Oh and he looks so happy. Love it!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paper-princess View Post
For Christmas, I received a gift card from a lovely LQS. I figured I would take a class instead of purchasing fabric. I just got the email with this month's classes and nothing looks interesting. Now I have to be extra careful and hope that next month they will have a class that interests me. That gift card is burning a hole in my wallet. I think I see smoke!
When you get a top finished you can buy fabric for the back. Sewing is first.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:51 PM

I am addicted to donated material and plan to join in, I'm planning on limiting what comes in this year to 3 apple boxes. When full can't receive any more till have used some up. Has to fit in boxes. Keep caught up and not adding to problem. My space is full.