Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM

I have a quilting buddy who made what I labelled her "stupid quilt". It was a flower garden done with 1" hexes, just beautiful and award winning but all by hand queen size. I said I would be "stupid" to even try that. But the English paper piecing looked doable in a larger size and I told myself it would use up some of my boxes of scraps and I could do it watching tv. But.... I can't seem to make myself think inside the box. So I decided on this......

EPP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84771.jpe  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 PM

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! Mine is going to be a queen done in 1" hexes, too. I hope to get it done this winter. If I can get all of the prep work done before winter, then I MIGHT have a chance. I guess I'll just have to see.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Sarah CA
Kas, you mentioned "sew on the line". If the line is on the inside of the fabric, are you just sort of eyeballing to make sure you are on the line before you start sewing? Or are you ironing on the line first, then sewing two pieces together? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Kas
Seriously, y'all. You need to take a look-see at the stamps. I have never done the baste, sew, unbaste, remove cardboard method, but it just sounds like more time and effort. After you cut out the stamped pieces, you just pin the corner and sew on the line. And you are still doing it by hand, so still traditional. Yes, you have to cut around the stamps, but you have to mark around a template and then cut it out anyway. Or cut out the general right size of fabric to baste around the cardstock hex. I gotta get some pics taken.
No, the stamp has an outer cutting line and an inner one on the 1/4 inch line. So easy.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I like the idea of the stamps but the smallest hex stamp I could find was 2 inches. I don't want my hexes that large, does anyone that uses the stamps know where I can get a smaller stamp? Something around 3/4"?
Another question I have about the stamps is what kind of stamp pad do you use? is the ink permanent on the fabric or is it washable?
The Stamps by Kate line has a 1/2" hex, a 3/4", a7/8" ,1", and a 2". The link is http://www.bykate.com

She also has other shapes like half-hexes, diamonds, tapezoids, dresden plate, half circles and so on. Plus she has patterns, too.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I like the idea of the stamps but the smallest hex stamp I could find was 2 inches. I don't want my hexes that large, does anyone that uses the stamps know where I can get a smaller stamp? Something around 3/4"?
Another question I have about the stamps is what kind of stamp pad do you use? is the ink permanent on the fabric or is it washable?
The Stamps by Kate line has a 1/2" hex, a 3/4", a7/8" ,1", and a 2". The link is http://www.bykate.com

She also has other shapes like half-hexes, diamonds, tapezoids, dresden plate, half circles and so on. Plus she has patterns, too.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Now how about the stamp pad? Have you used the byKate stamp pad or do you use something else? does it bleed to the front of the fabric? I know I am full of questions right! Sorry.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks so much for all of the great advice. I'm sure this will make the whole process go smoother. I can't wait to start!!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Rachel, that is going to be one fantastic quilt when you do it. Are they all 30's fabrics?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Kas

I am using the dark one of hers that came in my starter kit, but the white I bought I got at Joann crafts. I used my 40% off coupon and only paid $3.50 or something like that. Much better than $9.00. I looked on google to find fabric stamping materials and everything I saw said VersaMagic was the type to use on fabric. You just heat set it and it won't wash out or bleed on ya. So far, neither the Kate brand or the VersaMagic has bled through when I was stamping it. Just don't really glob the ink on the stamp. And remember to wash the stamp with soap and water after you are done. But it says that on the back of the pad.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Wow, such spectacular gfg's, I have a great admiration for you ladies(and guys)that can do these lovely quilts. I would never be able to do one.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Wow, such spectacular gfg's, I have a great admiration for you ladies(and guys)that can do these lovely quilts. I would never be able to do one.
Why not?