Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM

I just got my first featherweight! Hubby bought it for me at an antique shop on a recent drive to cape cod. Came with a case in near perfect condition, all the accessories and several bobbins. I went to our local Sewing machine shop and purchased a 1/4 foot and darning foot for her. Her birthday is May 10th, 1951! I cleaned and oiled her(although she purred right out of the box) I just have to give her a nice shine. I can't wait to piece my next quilt on her! Now I just have to think of a name for her!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lyndajean View Post
I just got my first featherweight! Hubby bought it for me at an antique shop on a recent drive to cape cod. Came with a case in near perfect condition, all the accessories and several bobbins. I went to our local Sewing machine shop and purchased a 1/4 foot and darning foot for her. Her birthday is May 10th, 1951! I cleaned and oiled her(although she purred right out of the box) I just have to give her a nice shine. I can't wait to piece my next quilt on her! Now I just have to think of a name for her!
Ok Lynda we want to see some pictures so we can share your joy.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 AM

I just got a Featherweight 221 on Ebay!!! I am so happy.....hope it works! Could someone please tell me what size needles to order for quilting and if there is one kind better than another! Thanks so much!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Having trouble posting picture...help!

Last edited by lyndajean; 03-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

What is a "featherweight" exactly? What constitutes a "featherweight"? Is it a treadle? Or a Singer? Does it have to be a certain size or age? This all looks and sounds so fascinating. I just bought an old sewing machine here on this board and am awaiting her arrival. It's a Singer 99K. It looks great and she says it runs. Doesn't have extra bobbins though. I think I get the machine with the one bobbin and the case only. Need to find more bobbins though. Don't know if I need any extras or if there are any extras. I've never bought a used machine before but this was a good price for me. So, is mine a featherweight?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by lyndajean View Post
Having trouble posting picture...help!
You may have to resize your photos.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
What is a "featherweight" exactly? What constitutes a "featherweight"? Is it a treadle? Or a Singer? Does it have to be a certain size or age? This all looks and sounds so fascinating. I just bought an old sewing machine here on this board and am awaiting her arrival. It's a Singer 99K. It looks great and she says it runs. Doesn't have extra bobbins though. I think I get the machine with the one bobbin and the case only. Need to find more bobbins though. Don't know if I need any extras or if there are any extras. I've never bought a used machine before but this was a good price for me. So, is mine a featherweight?
No, Jeanne, what you have is a wonderful heavy machine that is 3/4 size. The Singer 99 is a smaller version of the Singer 66. A featherweight Singer is a Singer 221 or 222, and weighs about 11 pounds. It is a 1/2 size Singer. There is a good picture on one in the posting 1001. They were made between 1933 and 1964, I think. What year is your 99? I have a 99 that has the knee bar and was made in 1928. You need #66 bobbins and can order them from sew classic on line. The ones from Walmart and Joann's don't work in the vintage machines.
Janis

Last edited by Janis; 03-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
What is a "featherweight" exactly? What constitutes a "featherweight"? Is it a treadle? Or a Singer? Does it have to be a certain size or age? This all looks and sounds so fascinating. I just bought an old sewing machine here on this board and am awaiting her arrival. It's a Singer 99K. ............So, is mine a featherweight?
jcrow,

Featherweights come in three models: 221, 222 and the freearm 222. They are electric models. They are the smallest of the Singer models except for the child sizes.

You will LOVE your model 99 even though it is not a Featherweight. I have two 99's. The earlier models of the 99 did not have reverse whereas the newer versions have a 'backtack'.

The 99 is a super sewer! You will love it!

Shari
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
No, Jeanne, what you have is a wonderful heavy machine that is 3/4 size. The Singer 99 is a smaller version of the Singer 66. A featherweight Singer is a Singer 221 or 222, and weighs about 11 pounds. It is a 1/2 size Singer. There is a good picture on one in the posting 1001. They were made between 1933 and 1964, I think. What year is your 99? I have a 99 that has the knee bar and was made in 1928. You need #66 bobbins and can order them from sew classic on line. The ones from Walmart and Joann's don't work in the vintage machines.
Janis
Thank you Janis. I will check out sew classic right now. I don't have my sewing machine yet and don't know the age or anything. Just saw a pic here on The Quilting Board and decided to buy it. I wonder if I can get the manual somewhere after I find out the serial number or whatever numbers I need to have. Know any place I could get the manual? Or any extras (if there are extras I need)?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM

I can't find sew classic online. Where do I go to buy the manual and bobbins for my Singer 99K? I guess the age is important to know, right? And the serial number will tell me the age? I don't know anything at all about old sewing machines but would love it if someone could direct me to an online store to buy some things for this machine and if I could be directed to some place where I could find out the age of my machine (if it doesn't say the age on it). Thanks in advance. Jeanne