Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 AM

I LOVE my pouncer!! You have to use a stencil with it, of course, but it marks the pattern perfectly and is easy to follow. I only "pounce" one border at a time as the chalk will wear off with moving it around, but I just love it. I also use the blue marker that washes out, but the pouncer is wonderful!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Auto supply stores sell magnetic bowls in which mechanics are much less expensive than the quilter magnetic holder. Love mine.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
hmmmmm i was thinking of getting a pounce.... I would be afraid the pencil would not wash out? but I assume since so many ppl use pencil that it does wash out???????

I have a set of mini drawers from wallmart ( welllots of sets actually) that I keep all my threads in... ( by color) and have a drawer for my bobbins.. that is the best I have found for me....
The blue markers will wash out...and not come back as a brown line as I have always heard. I soak my quilt for at least 20 minutes, then wash gently in the washing machine. Works like a charm!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by gls234
Auto supply stores sell magnetic bowls in which mechanics are much less expensive than the quilter magnetic holder. Love mine.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check into that. My magnetic holder wasn't specifically a quilting tool and I've had it for years...I think I spent a whole dollar on it!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 AM

I don't buy all those notions. I have my rulers and rotary blade
and I do just fine. Buying quilting notions are just like kitchen notions. You don't need them. Maybe use them once and they are stuck in a drawer. All the quilting notions will not make me a better quilter. Precision is what makes a good quilter.
Be precise when cutting quilt pieces, and precise when stitching.
The magnetic pen holders are great, but should never be used around a computerized machine. The best gifts you can buy a quilter is a good ruler or rotary blades.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM

Am pretty tight with money, but love two things, the bobbin holder that looks like a doughnut with a groove and the Olfa cutter for faux chenille. I still love soap slivers for marking med and dark fabrics.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 AM

I don't like the Easy Angle tool at all - It just has never made sense to me
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.

a few of us went to harbor freight and bought the double suction cup..they love it, and leave it at class, for others to use! and it was way cheaper than what they want at the other stores.

what do i think are a waste?
some of my fancy rulers..
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 AM
ajw

How about the Dritz basting gun?! Now that was a waste of money!! It is near impossible to keep the fabric layers taught while sliding the grid around underneath so that you can punch the gun through. And then the needle that inserts the little plastic tack through your fabric has such a lorge bore that it actually slices the fabric leaving little holes. I've tried using it twice and kicked myself both times after having to remove all of the little plastic tacks and wind up pin basting anyway. Uuuugh!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I have a question. Many of you are praising the virtues of the magnetic pin holder but I wonder about the possible danger to my computerised sewing machine if it is close at hand. How safe is it? It sounds like a must have. A friend had her cell phone wiped by something magnetic, so I am particularly cautious.

The brain of your computerized machine is in the upper part of it..there is nothing wrong with using a magnetic pin holder near your machine.
i have been using one for years, at least 6 years, i have the janome 6600. no problems what so ever.