Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM

I have a Black and Decker that I hate. It shuts off in the middle of ironing sometimes and it is too small and light. If it shuts off and there is water in the resevoir, it starts leaking. I am on the search for a better iron, definitely!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM

I did a lot of research before I purchased my new iron by reading review after review and I ended up with a T-Fal one. I've had it since Mother's Day and I love it. I purchased at JC Penneys for $29.99 or $39.99. I can't remember. They put their irons on sale often.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 PM

I on on my second Rowenta. They are awesome. I have the one from QVC this time, and it is wonderful. I like that the steam only comes out, when I hold in the button on the handle. It is on the underside, where you are grabbing and holding on, and it is not stiff or hard to push in. I love the iron, because I can do both dry and then steam, anytime I want.

Please, don't buy a refurbished one. The warranty is no good. I tried that once, never again. Mine is called a Rowenta Steamium. It is much nicer than the $100.00 one. I wasn't crazy about it. This one has far more surface area that the steam comes out of. Also, you are supposed to use regular tap water with this one, no distilled stuff. They say it may harm the iron. This one is not teflon coated but is stainless steel, also, of course it has the auto shut off, but I haven't ever had problems with that. I pick it up and it turns on right away.
I hope I have helped a little. I know it gets frustrating and confusing when buying irons. I had a Shark, and took it back, lousey iron from K-mart.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by cmilton
I hate auto shut off!!! do they even make irons anymore without it? Any iron would be fine without auto shut-off.
Yes, indeed they do. Well, ok, I think so. Mine is from Germany, about ten years old, and it does not have an auto shutoff. OH - How I hate those things !!

Name brand is Laura Star, it comes with a big pot that the steam goes in (I never use - but it takes tap water) and a heavy duty cord that connects the pot to the iron. There is another electrical cord which connects to the wall. I love this product. I did look for an American iron those many years ago but never could find just what I needed. My DH bought this in Germany for me, as he was familiar with what I wanted.

But after all these years, I only use Mary Ellen's - the pot of steam is a waste. I don't iron clothes - except mending of course - with it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM

I passed up a Rowenta at Sam's for $69.00 sounds like it might have been a good pass.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM

just got an Olisio from hubby for my bday, love it. i have bad arthritis an this iron is so easy on my wrist and hand. don;t have to lift it. just slide it to the fab. this is a new model and stays hot for 30 minutes before the auto shut off shuts it down. have had expensive rowetnas and prefer the Olisio.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM

I have had a refurbished Rowenta a couple years ago and I really love it except that the lever that you move to put on the "steam" setting keeps slipping back to "dry"...solved that with a piece of duct tape to hold it in place. Other than that I like it. It produces a nice burst of steam when I need it for a particular seam and is quick to heat back up after automatically turning itself off. Don't think I would buy another refurbished one though. Perhaps if the price was right I might buy a new one.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM

I have a Black and Decker from Wal - Mart and it has been great. I bought it in the very early 90s and it is still going strong. It has both steam and spray and an automatic shut off after 10 minutes of sitting upright. It heats up quickly. I know I didn't pay over $30 for it. I had a more expensive iron from Sears before this one and after a few years it started giving me shocks every time I tried to use it. I always wondered about the Rowentas. I guess they are the same as anything else. Some work and last and others don't.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by madamekelly
I have an inexpensive Sunbeam, Variable steam, Auto shut off. I just love it. Low hassle factor, heats quick, and not too heavy. I think I bought it at Bi-mart or Walmart about three years ago and no problems. It has a nice Teflon soleplate, long cord, and sits up nice and stable. I probably paid about $20 for it.
How long does the auto-shut off take to heat up again after it shuts itself off - like, I like to sew something(s) together and then go by the board and iron the seams or whatever - but if I took longer than the iron thought I should have and shut itself off - how long does it take to heat up again? Thanks.
Marysewfun :-)
I turn it off and unplug it each time I walk away. That is why I love it. It takes about a minute or two to get hot enough to iron. Just about enough time for a refill, or potty break. I have never had the shut off, have to shut off, because of the way I use it, but I'm glad it has it in case I forget. MY DH had a home burn to the ground many years ago because of an iron left on. Out of respect for his issue, I turn it off and unplug each time. He's a keeper, and whatever makes him happy. I don't have the money for all the 'bells and whistles' that others mention here, but I'm glad they can. I'm strictly a hobbiest. :)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Really like my Rowenta...love my DH.