Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Everyone,

Just came across this adorable free pattern from Sindy Rodenmeyer at Fat Cat Patterns for a mug rug with a appliqued Featherweight sewing machine on it.

http://fatcatpatterns.com/Mug_Rugs.html
That's a cute pattern. Thanks for sharing this link.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
My New Mexico Treadle is a White, 1981 VSIIb. I've been enjoying it today finishing blocks for a Treadleon swap. Here are pics. Interesting tidbit, the presser foot is brass.
Tommie
Tommie, that is really cool the way your treadle irons cross in the middle -- I have not seen one like that before!

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
hobbykat1955, if you loosened the clutch to disengage the needle your needle should not be going up and down. I have found with several of my vintage machines - even after cleaning them and oiling them - that this does happen the first time I wind a bobbin. What I do at that point is physically hold the needle still - making sure your clutch is loosened so the needle should not be moving. This will usually fix the problem as these machine sometimes sit so long that they are more or less frozen in place. When you do the winding while holding the needle still it seems to break them loose so they will work from then on like they are suppose to work with the needle quiet while the bobbin is being wound. Hope this helps.

Nancy

PS several of you mentioned this problem. This is the way I fix the problem. It has worked so far on every machine I have had the same problem with - that the needle keeps going up and down even after you loosen the clutch to wind the bobbin.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
I haven't got the machine that I will convert to felting it's in Sydney at my son's house, he got it on Freecycle for me along with another machine so once I get them home I can decide which one will be used, then I can post photos.

For now I've attached a photo of the adaptor from the eBay listing #400209297275 I also bought a 6 x pack of spare needles as I like to have spares, jic!! Full instructions come with the kit as well as a piece of foam that you cut and put into the bottom of the machine where the bobbin case etc used to be. This is why it's best to use a clunker...as long as the motor runs and the needle shaft goes up and down that's all you need. Probably best (imho) not to use a 'good' machine.

With our $$ being so good against the US$ atm now is a good time to buy because it will cost less than the listed US price. The lady is really quick to mail, mine arrived in 7 or 8 days which is normal with parcels etc from the US.

What I like about this adaptor is that you can use between 1 & 6 needles if you want...also if you break one needle that's all you need to replace, whereas some felting systems have a 5 (or 6) needle head and if one needle is broken you need to replace the whole head.

Hope this helps?

Bronwyn ;-)
I am amazed. I never would have known you could convert a machine to a felter machine. How cool is that? I have close to 20 machines and most of them are vintage. So, you are saying that for less than $100 I could probably convert one of them to a felter. I would love that. Wow, thanks for the info and the photo(s). :-D
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by star619
Billy,
I bought this thinking it was a child's toy machine. I was really surprised to open the box! The case had no key, so I've had to use a screwdriver to get the case to open. Can you give me any information on the machine? Also, any idea where I could get a key, or should I just keep using the screwdriver? Thanks. star619
Star619, that is a model 128 with Victorian decals. Very nice machine! You can go to the Singer dating site to find out when your machine was made. That machine will take normal Schmetz needles. It is a Vibrating Shuttle - bullet shuttle -with a very nice hand crank!

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Sorry double post

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Nancy, pleased you think it's a good idea...several people I've mentioned it to have given me a strange look. Then again they probably don't understand my need to have so many sewing machines either.

Not having done felting in the past, it's hard to know how much I would use a dedicated felting machine and therefore didn't want to have heaps of $$$'s tied up in a machine that might not get a lot of use...this was the reason I bought the Singer 99 recently then discovered what a little beauty it was when I got it home. Didn't open the case when I handed over the $5.50 because I only wanted a 'working' machine which didn't need to do anything more than go up and down!! LOL Since then I've been given another three machines, one being the Capri and the other two I haven't seen yet as my son got them on Freecycle in his local area.

The felting adapter, a 6pack of spare needles and postage (Downunder) was $62 which I thought was OK and much cheaper than a dedicated felting machine which cost several hundred $$'s.

Bronwyn ;-)
Hannatnana, let us know how it goes with the adapter, but I really want to try the adapter on one of my treadles!

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM

I am amazed. I never would have known you could convert a machine to a felter machine. How cool is that? I have close to 20 machines and most of them are vintage. So, you are saying that for less than $100 I could probably convert one of them to a felter. I would love that. Wow, thanks for the info and the photo(s). :-D[/quote]

Linda it will be less than $100 because postage to you will be cheaper than it was to Australia...the adaptor is US$51.50 and US postage US$6.33 (US$67.83) but it appears the 6 pack of needles is out of stock, but they are available as singles for US$1.95...I bought the additional needles now to save on postage costs later, and the fact I'd have to wait 7-8 days for them to arrive and if I'm in the middle of a project then that would be a pita!!! LOL

Like you, I truly hope this works too...but if not, then please don't shoot the messenger?? Because I haven't tried it yet!!

Btw, it doesn't need to be a vintage machine, just any old clunker...it just so happened that the 99-13 I bought (as a clunker) was in mint condition so I've decided not to use her and have another 'clunker' coming.

The lady selling the felting adaptors has given the OK to use her photo...phew!! and I've warned her there might be a few orders so she can at least be prepared. As usual, absolutely NO affiliation with the seller.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by tlpa
What a great site! I have a question on a featherweight I picked up not too long ago. It has a beautiful stitch, and would love to use it more but one problem is the motor smokes. I don't know if its from grease...or??? Can I open up the motor to see if there is a problem? Or is this something that needs to be checked by the pros? It doesn't take too long to start smoking, then I don't dare use it any more.
Thanks so much!
Tlpa, has the motor always smoked? Did you put anything in that motor to lubricate it - like Singer lubricant? If you put regular oil in the machine or something else - maybe that is why it is smoking or maybe it needs to be greased? I wouldn't fool around with a smoking motor, the motor could be going bad.

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I have been making my mug rugs with my hand crank and my DGD made a coaster on it. I love sewing on it. I don't remember what page I posted the picture of it on, so I will post another picture.
Did you find out what year yours was made?
Hispatchwork that is a beautiful machine.

Nancy