Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Guess what just got added to my sewing room..........a crib!!! Our new grandbaby (our first) is due Nov. 1st, and we happened across this good used crib (only 4 years old - meets all the safety standards) that was given to us. We want our home to be baby-friendly so that we will easily be able to look after the new little one when the need arises, so I suggested my sewing room as the place to put it. It's fine actually - it's motivating me to start sewing all kinds of things for the baby. But I have to squeeze between it and the wall to get to my stash. But I'm not complaining!! C9P
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM

If my total knee was much better I would try cleaning up my sewing room...want to move a pair of stacked night stands to my bedroom and take my "doll house" cabinet into sewing room.

Hubby bought some shelving from a store going out of business for my fabric so I need to fold it on boards...have started doing some on foam core board cut to "size". I would like to free up some space to put a futon or daybed...maybe...or put up a cutting table...maybe...or...

I am impressed with everything you all have done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
My sewing room is upstairs, lots of cabinets, big cutting island. Pretty neat for the most part, that is because I took all the things that weren't sewing related that has been dropped in there over time, and I dumped them into the
den. So my room is neat and organized. The Den is a mess :)
:thumbup:
Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
It is always a nightmare when we have company or the grandkids come to sleep over when everything needs to be moved. I am always looking for the one thing I need, but never sure which room or pile/bag etc.,I put it in.
I have been in much the same position for much of my life with kids & company. It seemed anyone coming over would be a setback to my organization & WIP's. My DH is a minimalist who likes the model home look...doesn't fit well with the quilter/artist; as someone said, "creativity is messy". As I've aged, I couldn't lift all those boxes back & forth each time I had to put things away; WHEELS to the rescue! I bought one of the rolling/folding carts (many are called "crates" instead) for my current WIP, & ended up buying 2 more (one for my machine, the other is organized with all my tools & notions). This has saved me greatly for the pain of moving things room to room & also means I'm half packed to go to a class. For those of you who have to move things room to room often, it might work for you too. At times I had to move things to an outbuilding, so having the handle, not just drawers on wheels was a necessity.
Sources:Office supply stores (Officemax, O'Depot, Staples-some as cheap as $20), I always use coupons.
Note these same things are sold as Teacher Carts or Scrapbooking & Sewing organizers @ $40-$80 (Fiskars has one) with a fabric/canvas sleeve over it. Most Ppl on this board should be able to make their own & customize it to their needs. Some have a hard plastic removable lid, & you can stack another box on top.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympia-85-010...f=pd_sim_hg_12 This one is $22.
http://www.amazon.com/dbest-00-011-T..._bxgy_hi_img_b With Lid $29.
My "dBest" brand with a lid has held up well. There are many brands & sizes of these; just read reviews for how well they hold up, if you plan to load them heavy.

Rolling crates w Liners n organizers $45 to $100 Fiskars, Saddle Bags, & Crop-in-style
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208382[/ATTACH]

Basic unlined rolling crates - Dbest w lid, Olympia no lid $22 to $29
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208383[/ATTACH]

Rolling 10-Drawer unit...BellaBoo got one for $29 @ Sams club
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208384[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208376.png   attachment-208377.png   attachment-208378.png  
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
I know exactly how you feel. I have to sew in my dining room so have to keep everything "picked up". The rest is upstairs in a very small bedroom w/ a dbl bed and dresser in it. I would love to take down the bed and store it somewhere but my DH doesn't want me upstairs, so I am stuck.
Got that off my chest, now I feel better.
Time to trade-up or down to a 1 story! I'm helping my mother @78 move this summer to a one story, God willing! She can't live in the bi-level any more with half of everything up & the other half down; & stairs either way when you come in the door. It is a terrible time to move though because of the housing/loan situation.
Hope you can find the time & room to make your quilting dreams come true.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Mine is smaller yet! It's in my bedroom. Beat that. lol :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Mine is smaller yet! It's in my bedroom. Beat that. lol :thumbup: :mrgreen: joann11
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM

It is a continous work in progress. I went from having 1/2 a basement as my sewing area to a 10"X13" room. Got rid of a lot of things and really felt good about it!!!! I finally got all my fabrics folded and put on bookcase shelves along one wall. The fabric that didn't fit went into tubs that are sitting in the garage. I get it cleaned and then I buy more fabric or I start a project and it just goes to pieces again. I want to paint this summer so I can't get it too organized because it will be just torn apart again!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Where in Alabama are you? If we are close enough. I'll help you and you can help me. I'm just outside of Tuscaloosa.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM

I have our second bedroom as my sewing room. Not big and I have to skip and step on piles of fabrics. I have bundled them by colors and pile them on one side, but when I need a specific fabric, there goes the neat pile. My husband just shakes his head and close the door. You are not the only one, I'm sure many other quilters suffer from fabric clutter also.