Favorite Breed

Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM

I have two buff cocker spaniels--mother and son--both papered. Got my first cocker when I was 8 mos pregnant with my first son and have had cockers every since--6 all blond. They are in long coat (like the show dogs) which means they have to be bathed and brushed frequently. The son, Charlie, is an AKC champion. We love them dearly and it would be strange to have a different breed.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 PM

My favorite dog was our wheaten terrier. He was the most loving and sensitive dog we've ever had. He had to be put down this Spring and I still listen for him and think of him every day.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM

I've had poodles, sheperds,& mutts, like you loved them all. I now have a shith-shu & maltese mix. Time for a lap dog & she's it. Love her to pieces. :lol:
Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 PM

I'm a "Golden" Mom and always will be!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 PM

I keep a strict limit of 4 pets, so cat or dog, when we need a new one, God will show me who needs me most. Works for me. I am partial to Norwegian Forest Cats though.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM

I am partial to cats but have always had dogs. Had two husky mixes and a purebred Siberian. Loved them even though they tried both DH's and my wits and patience but never worried about strange men with them around. Currently have very zealous, protective German Shepherd and a big lovable goofy boxer. Someone rang doorbell today so persuaded boxer to help me answer door. It was a neighbor but you never know and he's a BIG boxer who looks ferocious even if he isn't. I do happen to love whatever breed or mutt we might have at the moment but would love to be owned by a Bouvier. Just love that breed to pieces. DH wants a mastiff next if we get another big dog.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Throughout my years I've had Mutts, Peeks, Dobies, Lassies, Labs, Aussies and then a Wonderful Bassett and now my loving Border Collie girls.

I JUST LOVE DOGGIES! :D :D :D
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM

Old English Sheepdogs! We just rescued our 4th!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I keep a strict limit of 4 pets, so cat or dog, when we need a new one, God will show me who needs me most. Works for me. I am partial to Norwegian Forest Cats though.
This is how we have found ours. We were shown who needed us. We never start out looking for a dog, but always seem to find one. After Valentine, I have chosen not to get another dog, but then my son moved back in and brough his dog Maisy with him. She is going back to ID with him when he goes in Nov. I think for now the three remaining are all we are going to have.

We are kinda getting to a point where we want to be able to go do some things but having to deal with finding someone to watch them to our standards is getting hard, and we can't always take them with us.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM

I have had a lot of dogs over the years, been a rescue dog foster mom, and taught dog obedience and agility classes, so I have had some exposure to many breeds.

There are some things that I have learned over the years that I like and want in a dog, like not being so big I can't pick them up when they get old and I have to carry them up and down stairs. I don't mind dog hair, but I prefer dogs that shed moderately, and I don;t like oily coats that get D.O. (doggy odor). I like dogs that are playful and active and that come from breeds with a bigger than average gene pool and don't have a host of breed related diseases. I don't like dog drool, or that have a lot of fur on their muzzle (I find that smells bad after they get wet). I am bothered by dogs with brachycephalic (smushed in) faces on principle (they have breathing problems). I like dogs who want to play games with me as I train my dogs to do agility and obedience competitions.

So after many years I have a preference for Papillons and Border Collies. I find I like the bright faces and playfulness. They are all barky as heck but its OK.