Favorite Breed

Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Dachshunds by far are the best for me.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
Originally Posted by wolflady
PTQUILTS,
We had 2 rescued grayhounds. All they want is love and to be by your side.They give love also.
We considered adopting a greyhound once. Even got as far as getting the paper work and looking it over. Met with a couple at the Shewsberry Faire who were there from the greyhound rescue. While we were talking we asked how well they got along with other dogs, and they said perfect. That they were even tempered and usally got along with other pets. They asked what kind of pets we had, we mentioned Valentine our mini Doxie, they told us we might want to reconsider. Apparently many of their rescuses were from the greyhound race track somewhere, I think Portland. The small dog may trigger an instinct that has been bred into the racer. We did reconsider. They are such beautiful dogs though.
They can usually tell which greys have a high prey drive. I have one now that just looks at the bunny rabbit that lives in our yard. She has never tried to chase it. They are trained to chase rabbits but it really depends on the dog. The best racers usually have a high prey drive. Ones that didn't make it after the training usually aren't all that interested in small furry animals. If possible, I would take your small dog with you to see how the grey reacts if you're still interested in adopting one.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Well since this mornings post I now have a 3rd dog.As I was leaving the house I heard a pup crying. Out behind the house was an approx 4 mo.old Pit Bull -way under weight his front leg is torn open in 3 places and several healing cuts and a few nasty scars.I fed him and carried him inside doctored all his wounds No one knows who he belongs to and if I call the city they will put him down because of his 'Breed' He is so sweet and lovable.he wants to play but can't just yet He's already got my cats approval-she didn't attack him :thumbup: So if no one claims him in 72 hrs (now 66 hrs) he is mine to keep I'm hoping who ever mistreated him doesn't show up and try to take him.He stays right next to me.I'm already praying I'll get to name him in 65 hrs and 55 min.Can ya tell I already love him :-)
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 PM

I remember when I was in 2nd grade I saw on tv "Goodbye My Lady" so it was then I learned about basenjis and it was just a dream that I would ever have one.
On my 40th birthday I got my first show dog (after having 2 basenji pets a couple of years earlier) and I will admit, that I probably will never have another breed of dog

They are not a breed for everyone, but I think I understand them because I wouldn't doubt that I was one in a prior life
Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

I love my little fat chihuahua. Her name is Daisy and I've had her since she was 5 weeks old. She's now 5 years. But I have to say my very favorite dog I ever had was my female Rat Terrier. She was the smartest dog I've ever seen and the most loving, sweet and faithful companion. I had to have her put down a couple of years ago and I'm still not over the pain of losing her.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Katydid2
Doxies for me -- however I currently have 4 dogs listed oldest to youngest: Kiara - pointer/lab cross (inheired from daughter when she moved out), Bailey - german shorthair (pound puppy to keep the 1st one company), Chloe - daschund/pitbull cross who is the size of a basset hound (went with my sister to get a dog and this one sat in my lap the whole time so she went home with me), and a longhaired chocolate dapple mini daschund [once again went with my sister and a longhair chocolate has always been my "wish I had one so that I could name her Lady Godiva" and she was the only longhair out of the litter -- honestly I wasn't looking :) ] and I call her KC. I say I won't have any more when these are gone but you never know :)

A Daschund/Pit Bull mix???? That's creative! Some dog had to be pretty ingenious to pull that one off!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM

well.....we have had (and have) Labs off 'n on forever. But....we also had Akitas and I love them a lot.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:46 PM

We have had 3 boxer mixes over the last 40 years and loved each and every one of them. I now have a little schnauser and her personality is the best that I have ever seen and wouldn't hesitate to have another one.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM

I've loved all my dogs but I have to admit, the one that really got to me, and that I miss the most, is my rat terrier, Jack.

Jack and Floppy (my avatar)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264604[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264551.jpe  
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM

[quote=Katydid2]Doxies for me --

Ditto! My long-haired black & tan is a fierce and loyal one-person dog!
Nancy