Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Jim

I went to one unfriendly shop..ONCE....I never went back and didnt buy anything there...its no longer in business...doesnt make me wonder why
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM

I'm pretty shy myself: went into a small lqs, one woman behind the counter, said nothing. I wasn't sure what I wanted, just wanted to look it over. Couldn't really figure out the shop layout. Finally left with no one saying boo.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM

These shops are like a bad marriage, leave and don't look back.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes - and that's all I'm gonna say. I'm letting my $$ speak at different stores now.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM

I love my LQS! She always greets people when they walk in the door, regulars or newcomers, and asks if you need help with anything. She has also been known to meet customers at the shop when it's closed to allow them to get something they need right now! These are the kinds of shops we need to support so we don't lose them...forget the rest!!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 PM

I have been shop hopping with quilt friends to a very small No. Calif. town to a shop that everyone seems to think is SO great. Layout is great, natural light is wonderful, fabric selection is fantastic (they don't have flannel tho), but their customer service is severely lacking. Both times I have been there I have been totally ignored - even at the check out counter. My friends who are frequent shoppers there were warmly greeted as were others who came in the door. Geeze, what am I, chopped liver? I saved most of my fabric bucks for another store.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 PM

I've only been to one quilt shop: the one here in town. Pretty much have been going to it since it opened a couple years ago. Found a small ad in the paper about it and just HAD to go. Haven't had a bad experiance there. The owner is friendly. She usually greets me right away. Only time she doesn't is if she's inside her house taking a smoke break when I come...I don't drive and usually walk to the shop so she doesn't hear me "pull in". lol. I get along with her and we'll talk about quilting and what's going on in our lives. When I've seen other customers come in and get fabric she'll take a look at what they're buying and ask what they're working on. If she has something on the longarm I'll end up checking it out. I haven't asked her a lot of questions, but she was really helpful the last time I was in and helped me decide what kind of embroidery floss to get to tie my quilt with.

Sometimes I feel intimidated by her, but I think its just me and not her. She's a lot more experianced with quilting and I'm fairly inexperianced and I do some crazy unconventional things just to get a quilt out (quilting with no table---I sew on a TV dinner stand with the occasional dry erase board flipped upside down on top of it if I need a larger space, ironing with no board, sandwiching layers by pinning layers to the wall, I don't even know how to square up a quilt and doubt I have the space to do it properly). I guess that's why I get intimidated, like if she found out she'll think I have no idea what I'm doing. She did like my original designs, though.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
The local Wmart here has a sign (no bell) that says if you need service, go to the electronic clerk.Yeah,right! I'm sure he can find the notion I need or the right kind of batting !
You don't know that. I work at in electronics at our Wal-Mart! lol. :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 AM

yeah,I do....he's a neighbor :-) & fabric is the last thing on his mind.At 16...so is Wmart :-)

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by plainpat
The local Wmart here has a sign (no bell) that says if you need service, go to the electronic clerk.Yeah,right! I'm sure he can find the notion I need or the right kind of batting !
You don't know that. I work at in electronics at our Wal-Mart! lol. :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I had a nasty experience like that at the jo-ann's out here, there was absolutely no one in line which is rare, brought my fabric to the counter, and she said i had to take a number even thought the next number was the actual next number. i took it and she walked away for like 20 minute. how rude was that
I think I would have walked out of the store if the employee did that to me. After all, we don't need them, they need us. We can go online and buy, sometimes for much less than the LQS.