Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >
  • On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

• On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-02-2018, 10:57 PM
    Power Poster

Kass, the big block is wonderful. You designed your 'own thing' from the Ringo Lake units. Love it. Can't wait to see it as a quilt.

Joe'smom I love your pink geese. Great neutrals, too. Your blocks will be gorgeous.

lmanna, I loved your colors best of all... hope you find a layout you like for them.

I spent the night cutting more itty bitty pieces to make a few more of everything so I can have 5 more blocks and a few more sashing units. I think that will make my quilt big enough to then frame with some kind of blue border. I was reminded of how much work these blocks are! I did them fast, but they still took a long time to complete. As it turned out, half the units made only 25 squares, and I need 30 for my layout. Still nowhere near done...
    Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 AM

I'm a tad surprised by this mystery technique. I think I thought it would continue with Friday clues. such a clue 8 make 50 blocks, clue 9 make 9 1/2" sashings, clue 10 make corner triangles, clue 11 make setting triangles, clue 12 make rows, clue 13 sew rows together, ta da reveal! I feel like a whole lot of work has been dumped on me and I feel a little overwhelmed. I see you ladies are having fun with alternate layouts, which are all lovely and creative, but it adds to my "where do I go now, Toto? " Emerald City seems very far away....................
    Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 AM

Jane Quilter, I think Bonnie knew that her reveal would be revealed if she waited too long. I suspect that there were some that were posting their ideas of what it would be and getting too close. She certainly admonished her readers in her blog that she thought might give it away.
    Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    I'm a tad surprised by this mystery technique. I think I thought it would continue with Friday clues. such a clue 8 make 50 blocks, clue 9 make 9 1/2" sashings, clue 10 make corner triangles, clue 11 make setting triangles, clue 12 make rows, clue 13 sew rows together, ta da reveal! I feel like a whole lot of work has been dumped on me and I feel a little overwhelmed. I see you ladies are having fun with alternate layouts, which are all lovely and creative, but it adds to my "where do I go now, Toto? " Emerald City seems very far away....................
    This is typical Bonnie. Although she'll never promise it, she has released the final clue on New Year's Day 5 years in a row now, at least. And the "reveal" is always big! But that's OK - it's not a race. Just keep working along, and if it helps you to break it down into those steps, then do it that way. Some people are still working on last year's mystery (and there was a whole lot of activity on that thread in November, as people tried to finish before this year's mystery started).

Emerald City may be a long journey, but there's lots to see along the way
    Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 AM

Well said, Krista. I always find myself racing to keep up during the mystery, but after the reveal I slow down to my own sweet speed. Last year I didn't finish the top until April or May, and then the quilting until October. My personal goal is to simply have it bound by the next mystery! Just take your time, Jane, and enjoy the ride
    Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 AM

I'm another that likes the idea of strip piecing the aqua on the border for more interest and variety. Since I accidentally sewed the coral to ALL of my triangles, I may see if I can use them that way instead of ripping them all apart.
    Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 AM

I’m definitely in the slowing down group! I was trying to catch up and thought Ikd gotten there before the sudden accleration (silly me). I love seeing everoneks ideas on alternate settings- not sure I want to do mine in the setting BH designed.

Rob
    Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586492[/ATTACH]
    Well, I’ve settled on my block & trying to sew geese & sashing pieces but I needed to see what my border would look like. And I’m out of coral so I’m trying to figure what I have & what I need. I had counted pieces last week, but not directional. And yes there are two pieces out of order but sewing sashing I was working on the one color & not the other. And the good thing about taking a pic is you can see what you left out, specifically a piece of sashing on the right lower side! That’s just how the came in the stack.

Overall, it looks kinda Aztecy.
    Attached Thumbnails da5fe320-8dcc-4bef-adfc-9d6a1e05f330.jpeg  
    Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GramE

Overall, it looks kinda Aztecy.
    I agree ... Aztecy!!

Just FYI ... not only are you missing the sashing in the lower right, two of the sashing pieces need to be flipped. Bottom sashing on the lowest block and the top left block.
    Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM

That looks so good, GramE. Your centers stand out really well.