Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated? >

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When I found my best pair of scissor being used to cut the hard plastic package wrap from a toy package I thought well they are the best scissors. I bought a more of them. Now all the scissors in the house are the good scissors and my scissors are left alone. No more hassles about scissors. Quality scissors are so inexpensive now compared to years ago.
Where is that? - not here, they are not. However, our family never uses poor quality tools as we believe you are more likely to have an accident if you are struggling with a poor quality or blunt tool. I like the philosophy.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking prices at Joann's, Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores that have coupons to buy scissors. Honestly Gingher uses to be the one brand to have but there are other brands now that are just as good if not better sewing scissors. Gingher makes lightweight sewing scissors that are very nice. The heavy stainless ones are the work horses but so heavy. Clover makes darn good scissors as well as Fanmore brands. The Mundial scissors are excellent too. A great pair of big scissors won't cost more then $25 now. Too many outlet stores carries the brands to pay full price. I have at least six scissors still in the packages I found on clearance sales. Two Gingher, three Clover and one Titanium. I save them for secret, pal secret Santa gifts and when it's my turn to bring a door prize to guild. When my scissors get all yucky from cutting who knows what I put them in the dishwasher. I have one pair of gold stork Gingher scissors I do keep up with. They are cute and very sharp for hand sewing.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM

OMG! Callouses?? No, I live with all men, and they know under no uncertain terms they go next door to borrow scissors before they touch my good sewing ones. I like it that way.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Ditto!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Yesterday I found my mom cutting the tops off of Icee popsicles with MY good sewing scissors. Couldn't find the other 800 scissors in the house so she goes into my room and takes mine!

Certainly nowhere near as bad as the time when I found my ex's step dad using them to cut off the callouses off his feet (I threw that pair away!). But still!

I'm positive I'm not the only one who has caught someone else using the good sewing scissors for anything other than sewing. What's the worst way you've seen your good scissors being mistreated or are there people in your house who can't get it in their head that those are meant for your quilting/sewing projects and nothing else?
My DH used my good pinking shears to cut wire screening!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM

An ex-roommate used my sewing scissors to cut the wire stitches from her cat's stomach after she got her fixed.

Once when we were getting the stage ready for a school play, I came upon a co-worker cutting duct tape with my razor edge scissors. He got quite an earful and probably hasn't used scissors since!! haha
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM

You name it my family has used them. Paper, those plastic packages electroincs are entombed in, five hours ago my daughtet 40yrs old wanted to use them to cut out a cardboard coupon. I stoped her before she got anywhere near and reminded her that six feet on her right was a draw with the kitche shears and one for paper.

Keeping them in my work bais a good idea.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

My beloved son used my sewing scissors to cut gaskep material for his car! ONLY ONCE! I had some Ginghers so well I didn't find them for years!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 PM

don't have a problem with that even my GS know not to touch my good sewing scissors and + he know i keep a pair just for him in my sewing room.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewobsessed1
When my little ones were, well, little, they were into jewelry making. They used my Ginghers to cut wire! :(

I confess to having done that to a pair of scissors, back in the early days! Long before I got serious about sewing, and then when I did, I got serious about how I treat my scissors.

The worst abuse I've seen? It's got to be when they were used as a screwdriver or pry bar- you guess it, one of the blades is now permanently bent.