2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

I just used a 1/2 yard of stash fabric on a fabric box to put in a Sterlite plastic drawer for my triangle organization. Plan on making more, I'm so pleased with the custom size. More fabric out the door...I mean in the drawer!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Well I’m excited about my start for the new year. I finished making all the blocks for my project yesterday. Not only all from my stash but All Scraps! To me that’s a huge bonus. I have used 8 1/2 yards of scraps for this project and 3 yards of starch yardage for background. Great beginning.
of course the way scraps multiply it doesn’t seem like I diminished the scrap pile at all.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Our guild will have a booth at the local quilt show this coming February and I said I would make some things for them to have to sell.

I was actually at the LQS with items in my hand when I firmly put them down and walked out. I pulled everything I needed out of my stash.(except I will have to buy some white felt) I must say....I was feeling a little sassy as I walked to my car!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

Congratulations red stilettos that's quite an accomplishment to put down what's already in hand!

Rob
Old 01-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Well I’m excited about my start for the new year. I finished making all the blocks for my project yesterday. Not only all from my stash but All Scraps! To me that’s a huge bonus. I have used 8 1/2 yards of scraps for this project and 3 yards of starch yardage for background. Great beginning.
of course the way scraps multiply it doesn’t seem like I diminished the scrap pile at all.

That was Stash yardage— not starch yardage.
And today I sorted the left over scraps and didn’t have near as many as it looked like with them all heaped on the table. Sorted, trimmed/ cut into the largest usable piece I could cut them into, cut some for a block I need to make for sewing group and put the rest away- sorted by color and put into an over the door shoe holder.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Congrats to everyone on their willpower however that it isn't me! I bought two fat quarter bundles for a total of 2 1/2 yards. Almost made it through January. So back up on the wagon.
Krisb lovely quilt.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Oh dear. I was meeting a friend for dinner tonight, and we met up in a quilt shop first, since we were a bit early for the restaurant. As I walked in I overheard the sales clerk telling a customer "we're have a 2 for 1 sale today". Uh oh. Yardage for 3 backings came home with me. Hopefully I still like them when put beside the actual quilt, since i was working from memory/photos on my phone. Assuming they all work out, that's 3 more UFOs ready to check off the list!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

I just packed a box of 30s fabric and a couple of books to send to a friend. It is stash leaving the building, that's all that matters.

BTW, I have been struggling with the rainbow-colored pieces for the applique quilt. The thought of using the white from my stash was just too much. But then I came up with a name for the project and NOW I can work on it. The name is going to be "Unicorn F*rts in the Snow" I will have my friend embroider the label in rainbow colors. Can't wait. lol
Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 AM

Kristyn: I get small pieces donated to me from 2 volunteer groups and I figure it is a bonus to my stash. Lol!

I will be purchasing fabric in February but it will be to finish my year long Block of the Month through my LQS so that purchase won’t count. However, the LQS has some lovely baby panels and I am waiting for the arrival of a great nephew. I need to STAY strong!

When I figure scrap yardage, I just take the finished width and height, multiply them and divide by the square yard inches. Clear as mud, right?

Connie
Old 01-31-2018, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Last night I got another box sewn. I'm loving the way these fit into my drawers...I can get three of them per drawer if I need to. This will be so easy to take out of drawer and use them as I work on specific projects. Another half yard out the door, plus the Peltex bits that have been taking up space. I have enough of the stiff stuff to make 2 more boxes then plan on trying Decor bond on both pieces for a product comparison.

I use those donated little scraps all the time. I just made three items for a fundraiser. The little heart one no bigger than a sheet of paper was made from French General fabrics and brought in over $200 for my Grands school.

Connie I like your figuring of yardage from scraps (FYI folks, there are 1440 sq inches in a yard of 40" wide fabric) Using that method, the little heart quilt sent an eighth of a yard out the door. The table runner 2/3 and the wall hanging another 2/3 yard. All in all almost a yard and a half a fabric. These 3 little items brought in $500+ for the school...not a bad return on my investment and time. I do have photos and at some time will get them downloaded.

Meanwhile...use it up!