Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Mine was a Viking and I was 13 and got it for sewing class at school. My mom & dad bought it for me. I still have it & needs to be tuned up. It was in 1958.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Mine was my white Featherweight that used to be my mother's. She taught me to sew on it and gave it to me when I moved out and got married.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM

I learned on my Mom's White Rotary. By the time the rapairman had a hard time getting parts for it we upgraded to a Singer Slantomatic 500. People have said that it was the best machine Singer ever made....ours was a lemon. When I married I bought a Kenmore, it was a workhorse. I did so much sewing that it became a hassle to change cams just to overcast etc. The next was a Singer Athena 2000. After having to replace the gears I swore not another Singer. I now have a Pfaff, love that machine, it does what it is supposed to do, no hassle, or tweeking.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM

I didn't get my first sewing machine until after I was married over a year and it was a singer touch and sew in a cabinet. I learned to sew on my mother's treadle Singer when I was a little girl. She also taught me how to make a pattern from newspaper and many other helpful skills.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM

My first sewing machine had belonged to my great grandmother and is a Featherweight. My second sewing machine is a Bernina 730 which my husband bought for me in 1966, I still have and use both and I think they both have thousands of miles on them.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM

I was born in 1972, began sewing on my grandmother's Singer bought new in the early 1960's, maybe a Touch n Sew? in a cabinet. Then in my teens, I had a portable, maybe slightly newer Singer my mother had made maternity clothes on. She was born in 1949 and learned on a treadle! I worked at JoAnns for a few years as a teen and bought a Singer 9410 for about $200 in 1990. It was my only machine until 2010. I knew about other brands, but could never afford them. I specifically remember wanting a Pfaff 75xx in the 1990s. There were many times in those 20 years that I did very little machine sewing due to work or travel or childrearing. Usually had a top to drag around and quilt on. Have a few that were quilted in multiple states, countries, and continents! Got serious about quilting again a few years back, but piecing was still ok on my crappy Singer (or so I thought). Finally upgraded to a Babylock Quest Plus last year, and caught SMAD. I had no idea that a machine could help you sew better or hold you back! So then I wanted to buy what I had lusted after when I was a more prolific quilter in the 1990s: Pfaff 7510? check!, vintage Bernina? check! new Bernina? check! Featherweight? Check! Check! Check! So twenty years of sewing on a $200 machine, then thousands on new and new machines in a year. Am I done? Not likely. My sons can say their first machine is a Brother they shared with their brother. But they got their eyes on my machines. When I die, I hope they are still quilters and they divide up my stash, books, machines, and tools. There's a FW for each!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM

I used my Mums old Victoria/Victory (forget) when I learned sewing at 12 yrs old at High School and was hooked. It was electric, we even made my formal gown when I made my Debut, It lasted forever,and when she got a new Singer we used the old machine to sew yard and yards of reinforced pvc waterproof fabric to make an annexe for our camper. When I married I didn't have a machine until I was having my first baby and my granddad saw me making a maternity dress out of woollen fabric by hand, he found an old Werthiem 'desk top' machine that you had to turn the wheel by hand, a few years later he gave me a Singer Treadle machine which my Dad eventually converted to electric. When my kids started school I bought an Empisal, (which my daughter still has,along with a new Brother), I have had Janome machines since,but recently got a S/H Singer Futura embroidery machine and a basic Elna because my 8 yrs old grand daughter want me to teach her to sew. As I've got new machines I've handed down old one's to family members, think all that sew have one now. Actually if I'm honest, lol, the hand downs have been an excuse for me to get new machines I think.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lady-T
well.....don't I feel like the odd duck here.
DH bought me my first machine in 2001, at age 45!
It was a Viking Huskystar. Great little macjine!
Well, I bought my first and only machine in 1984, after graduating from college with a degree in Home Economics. I learned how to sew on my mom's Singer and hated it, but when I used the Vikings in college, I had to get my own Viking. When I tried to look for the Viking dealer, I couldn't find it. All I found was the Bernina dealer, so I bought myself a Bernina, and have never regretted it. I want to get another one, but am having trouble deciding which one. 8-)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM

Mine was a 1940's Kenmore that I am now trying to find in reasonable working condition to add to my collection.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
The first sewing machine in my life was my mother's Singer 301. I learned to sew on it when I was 10 and that was all I knew until I was married at 19 and my husband purchased a Singer sewing machine as his wedding gift to me. I honestly can't even remember the model of that machine. It was a 1969 model and every time I used it I would have to take it in to have it serviced. It was a pain in the backside. I had it to the repair man over a dozen times in the first year. Finally he took it completely apart and reassembled it. He told me they had put it together wrong when they manufactured it and that it should be better now. It wasn't. One day in a fit of frustration I took it out to the field behind the house and and used my husbands shotgun on it. It gave me more pleasure in those few minutes than it had in all the time since first attempting to sew on it. I saved my pennies and purchased an old Singer 301 and still have it but also have had several wonderful machines since. Ann in TN
ROFLMBO :lol: