Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I use the chalk marker that is red and yellow and comes with several different colors of chalk ( like lead refills for a pencil). I really like this marker. I also have the Quilt Cut 2 and have watched many demos and tried it myself in the store before purchasing. I haven't used it yet at home because the strip quilt I made was a kit and the strips were pre-cut. I also have the DVD to help. I think it will be great. I also bot the Martelli binding tool and when I was going to use it , it just seemed to be more complicated than I had time for. Still in package for about 4 years at least. I do love the Martelli rotary cutter. It cuts really well and is easier on my wrist and will go thru more layers of fabric.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Oh! For goodness sake take that rotary cutter out of the packaging and use it. They are great and I would not be able to quilt today if I had to use scissosrs because of the arthritis in my wrists and hands. Don't waste another moment, open the cutter and use the mat. You will love it but be careful with your holding hand. The blades are indeed very sharp. I bought a glove to wear on my holding hand but so far haven't hit my gloved hand yet...........
Let us know what you think of the rotary cutter once you break it out.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JoantheQuilter
Originally Posted by eightylady
I bought a bag of chalk refil...loose chalk...and can't find a way to use it. Any ideas? Thanks
Sounds like the chalk you buy to fill the "Pouncer."
You can get the Clover chalk marker with the small wheel in the top. You can use this as a refill. I have some ladies that use the iron off pounce chalk in these when they are marking quilts and embroidery.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
Lol I think I have the same one, blue, and useless as far as I can tell. Smilessss.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by shrabar
I bought a binding tool & now I wouldn't do with out it . I also was doing fine but this made it so much easier & faster & neater now I am getting a hem foot. it makes your hem neat, & fast
Applying binding is my least fav thing to do regarding quilting, so I bought one of these things. I must be backwards or something because I can't for the life of me get it to work. I've watched the video on You Tube from Missouri Quilting Co., but the one I got is not the same one and I don't know where to get....wait, I could get it from there! Anyone want to buy the one I have? Just shipping would do it? Here's a pic. it's a little thing, nothing like what they have on You Tube!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124012.jpe  
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only thing that really jumps out in my mind is the rotary blade sharpener. I finally threw it out. I can't remember the name but it was blue and not very expensive.
I got one of those! Like you I think it was a waste of my money!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewgray
Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by sewmuch
A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...

lol, I use chopsticks too ;-)
I use a cuticle stick, has a flat end and a pointed end, and if I need to get really close to the needle I ust two of them instead of my fingers.
But you can't measure a perfect quarter inch with a chopstick and you can't use a chopstick to run elastic or ribbon thru a casing.

A Purple Thang is not just a one use tool. They're handy for all sorts of things.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Wow! thanks for this link, bellaboo~ I have a Pounce too, that as I was reading agreed with those who do not like it but I just watched the youtube link and will give it another try. I also remembering that it came off very easy which was a disadvantage. I do like "Day Style Designs" and all her free motion quilting how to videos.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I had a lot of trouble with the Pounce until I learned to use it the right way, now it works just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvWVNJHHqs
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I got one too. Don't like it at all - and for some reason I STILL can't cut the fabric right even with the QuiltCut! Woe is me - I'm going to buy the Accuquilt Go next week. I'm just sick to death of wasting fabric.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuch
A purple thang is used to push out corners, square on one
end and pointed on the other....I use it on occasion, but I have found that chopsticks work just as well...
Ah-So-o-o-o!