Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gina_D
One thing I bought when I first started quilting was one of those suction cup things that are supposed to hold your ruler down while cutting. The sales person told me I had to have them. I've never used them; my hand works best for me.
I went out and bought one, also! Tried it twice....the darn thing didn't have a very good suction and kept falling off! Yup...my hand works better!! Bought it at Walmart tho and they take returns without the sales receipt, so guess where it's going so I can buy a better "notion"!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mpayne
What is a purple '
"Thang"? Please. I don't know what it is either
This is a Purple Thang!
http://www.littlefoot.net/index.php?...products_id=81
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM

I only use it to make fringe on scarfs...it works great for that.
Originally Posted by sewTinker
When I was Brand New to quilting, I saw a quilter on Simply Quilts use a kind of "ruler" that is essentially a big square with cutting slits every two inches. You square your fabric and lay this on it and then rotary cut through the slits. I used it once unsuccessfully - it required more coordination than apparently I possess. Perhaps with practice I could master it... Meanwhile, it sits propped behind my cutting table. for 10 years. lol...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM

I have "wasted" a lot of cash on sewing do-dads...but if you dont try it how are you going to know if it is going to work for you? I guess you can always pass it on to someone who hasnt had a chance to try it.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM

I bought an Altos Quick several years ago and have used it so much I will have to replace the cutting pad soon. It is accurate and really easy to use. The best part is that the "ruler" doesn't move as I cut along it like the others do whenever I try to use them.
:)
Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Earleen
Try the hunting and fishing sections W.M.they have great plastic boxes with adjustable compartments and seem stronger than others. Love the ones I got. You can make small sectioins or larger ones and they close tightly.
Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
I bought a plastic bobbin keeper case and the lid broke off it within days. But my two favorite notions are my magnetic pin holder (I LOVE THAT) and the non slip gloves. What a differnce in holding the material when you have arthritus in your hands.
I use the little double sided fishing lure boxes for my bobbins. I think they are about $2-3 and work wonderfully. I have several different brands of sewing machines and even among the Singers they use different bobbins.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM

[quote=JudeWill]
Originally Posted by raptureready
I tried the pedicure toe separators for my bobbins and like them just fine.

I use pony tail holders to go around the bobbins. I don't remember where I found that tip, but I like it.

I bought 5/8" clear plastic/rubber tubing, cut it down to fit my bobbins..i can see the color of the thread that way..works great!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by moreland
Originally Posted by misseva
i thought "basting" spray was actually used to baste a quilt. at least that's what i use it for. what's the point of using spray and then pin/stitch basting? seems like extra work to me.
I have never pinned a quilt since I started using the basting spray. I've always used June Taylor just because that was what Walmart carried and they were always significantly lower on their price that JoAnne's. I use it on all sizes--whether they are queen or just a lap throw.
I use the curved quilter's safety pins, due to asthma, the basting sprays are a huge no-no. My method of quilt basting
doesn't pollute the air or leave sticky residue everywhere.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I use mine all the time and believe it was some of the best money I have ever spent!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by shadoh
i just love the basting spray, but not the odour or the sticky stuff that gets over the area beside the quilt.
You have to cover your area with a drop cloth. I use an old sheet. And also crack open a window to help rid the smell while you are spraying.