Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees >

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Jo-Ann Fabrics Employees

Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 AM

I always stand right there when they cut. i do that at all stores. i pay for a yard i want a yard
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 AM

I've noticed that some tend to pull on the fabric that is being measured. If you are getting several yards for backing there are times mine has come up almost 6" short of what I had requested.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:46 AM

I always watch them do the measuring and cutting. I like to see what the first end off the bolt looks like. If it is lopsided then I ask them to start the measure after that because I'm going to have to square it up when I get home. Our local Joanne's is always a pain to get anyone to help you. Maybe I go at the wrong times, not sure. The other day I was in there, the place was packed, they had one person cutting and one person at the register with long lines at both. I heard one of the ladies waiting ask the clerk if they were the only ones here and she said "yes, and no one else was scheduled to come in". Looking at the line at the cutting table and the number of bolts each customer wanted cut I figured I was going to be there about 30 to 45 minutes. Didn't have that much time so just left.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 AM

It would be nice to get an extra few inches thrown in, but you have to remember this is not the five and dime anymore. Everything is computerized and accounted for - if they have a 25 yard bolt and the tags say only 24 yards were cut off it, because everyone got a few extra inches, it throws off their inventory.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

No matter where I shop I watch them.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 AM

I used to work at Jo Anns a few years ago . then we always gave an extra thumb to make sure you weren't cheated BUT corperate came down hard on thatthey said " they said if they did that for every customer they would loose alot of money". So now there very tight to the ruler.ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY LAY IT STRAIGHT,because if one side is longer than other you get shorted.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm always 1-2" short. I don't like that they use scissors. Even with the groove in the table, I feel like it's not as straight line accurate as a rotary cutter
Why are you putting up with this?? I'm sure they're charging you for a yard so you should have a yard. Tell them to double check before they cut.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:34 AM

I've been short because the fabric is not cut straight and by the time you square it up you lose alot of fabric.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Yes, I have. That is why I watch them cut, and then I remeasure once it is given to me (I always carry a tape measure). Recently I was told that I could use either a coupon or my VIP card.... their registers are no longer able to deduct 10% off (I use on non-sale items) if a coupon is used. I usually buy all my notions (batting/books/patterns included) at Joann's, and until recently could use both... coupon on sale items and VIP card on non-sale. Makes me wonder if it is worth the bother since I need to travel 1 to 2 hours just to get to a Joann's. (My nearest Joann's is still closed because of the serious flooding from Irene.)
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by LindaWheattall
Has anyone ever been short changed on the amount of fabric? I've bought fabric and fusible there and sometimes I only get 32-34 inches. It's too far to waste the gas to take it back.
When I sell fabric, my policy for measurement is based on the following:

I add 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra to the first measurement.

So if the customer has asked for 3 yards, I measure 3 yards + (plus) 1 - 1 1/2 inches extra BEFORE I cut.

This method of measuring takes into account the fabric may not be or is generally NOT cut straight therefore, it may measure as 3 yards at the selvage, but in actuality, measure less in the inside centre.

Make sense? I've NEVER had a customer complain - only comment they received more than what they asked for.