My husband

Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Thank you for all your love and well wishes. We had a MUCH better day today. I talked with hubby, and told him im not snapping at him cus i don't care, i told him i think it's cus i do care, but just all the stress and worry has built up, and we are both just on edge. And he seemed to get that, and then our day went much better. We even had pizza for supper. Got some with heart healthy symbol on it. Only two grams of fat for 2 pieces, and low sodium. So instead of eating tons of pizza, we each had two pieces, and some green salad, no fat salad dressing, was very nice. But i am sooo tired. I think the stress has just caught up with me a bit, but things were much better today :)
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am glad that you were able to talk it out :D:D:D
What a very scary time!!! I am so glad that he is back home, now you can both rest and recuperate...stress will wipe you out so take it easy for a while (((HUGS)))
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Sending healing and calming prayers your way.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM

I am so sorry that you are going through such a stressful time. Hang in there...it will get better. I've been there already. 7 yrs ago...DH was 49 and had a massive heart attack. He felt bad and said take me to the hospital. I told him that I was going to call the ambulance and DH said that if I did, he wouldn't go. I put him in the pickup and drove 35 miles in about 25 min. Whew...at least the deer weren't on the roads and no cops. At the hospital, they said he wasn't having a heart attack but had to keep him overnight anyway. He wasn't in the heart ward 10 min, and coded. They had to shock him 3 times to bring him back and rushed him to the cath lab. After about 2 hours of not knowing anything, he had 2 stents put in his heart and 24 hrs in ICU lying flat without moving at all. I sort of had to laugh at the nurse who thought that I was in the way...she said that she had something to MAKE him lay still and not move and that I should go home. I went to the pickup and took a one hour nap. When I got back to ICU, that same nurse was yelling at me wanting to know where I was at that she couldn't control DH. I just looked at her and said Aren't you glad that I didn't go home...35 miles??? She never even bothered to say I'm sorry. DH is fine now, with lots of meds tho. He was to quit smoking ...he hasn't. No caffeine....he still does. I still cook healthy, but can't control how he eats away from home...so I just pray for him.

Sending lot's of prayers and big cyber hugs to you and yours. (I quit smoking too and it is hard but it will pass.) You can do this for each other, just think of all the things you both have yet to experience together. :D Hugs and Prayers and hang in there. :D Tigger :D
Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 AM

(((HUGS))) to you Barb. Everyone has said it better than I can. Keeping the communication open and honest with DH is good too!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Barb...what a scare! I'm so glad that you are BOTH home! My DH and I quit smoking due to a hospital episode..very similar...that was in May '07 and neither of us has picked up one since. I will advise you though to go to the pharmacy and get some prescription type patches. They are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as still buying the cigs! They work wonderfully and makes it MUCH better. Best of luck to you both and I'm wishing good healthy wishes for you both too!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Thank God you got him there in time!
HUgs to you Barb! I know that is so scary to go through. When I quit smoking what I did was buy a bag of hershey kisses ( I know not the best thing but better then a smoke) Evertime I craved one I would pop one in my mouth and savor it. IT really worked for me! I know how hard it is believe me!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM

My husband is cranky all the time- and he has no excuse!! Stress can be a big factor in a lot of things. Usually when my husband snaps at me, I know it's not really me he's mad at, it's usually circumstances or he's mad at himself and takes it out on me because nothing is ever his fault! LOL Good luck to you both.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Ask his Dr. to prescribe an anti smoking pills for the both of you. It will help so much. He may not be able to have the pill but you need it! There are so many online cooking forums for healthy food recipes that are delicious. You can have fun trying new recipes. I use sunflower oil for all my frying and baking because DH as high blood pressure and has to watch his weight. The new turkey meats are great. DH loves Italian sausage and could not tell I switched to HoneySuckle White Turkey Italian sausage. I use ground turkey instead of beef in most of my recipes. The turky pepperoni is excellent. Jenny O turkey products are really bad tasting to us but the Honeysuckle White products are very good. Canola oil is just as good for your heart diet as olive oil, some reviews say even better for you then olive oil.

I'm passionate about eating to stay healthy and all it takes is some time to plan your meals.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. It is hard enough trying to quit smoking when things are all well, but it is especially difficult when you have to quit and didn't really want to. I had to have a pacemaker and had to quit in the hospital. My husband quit also, and it was hard not to snap at each other, especially when we were going through all the hospital and heart stuff. You will both be ok and things will get better. Just take good care of each other.