Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A different take on Enough Already >

A different take on Enough Already

A different take on Enough Already

Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 AM

I agree not what I was expecting either. My thought was it was all brought over so she could get the garage remodeled. It was a great cause and the finnished quilts were sent on their way. she had extra tables to bring out when hwer group comes over. I think there is a lot!! of baby sitting in her future. Glad she got the make over. great cause
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 AM

Every time I watch one of those hoarding shows I wonder how does the partner of the hoarder let them get away with it? If I lived with someone like that I would try my hardest to keep things under control. I would also seek professional help.
I think sometimes that I watch those shows to inspire me not to keep so much STUFF no mater what it is. A organized space is comforting. Having so----------- much is upsetting and uninspiring. Sometimes you have to ask for help. Perhaps her children were busy with their own lives. Her home looked large enough to be organized. I admire her for her dedication to Quilts of Valor. Family should come first no matter what hobby you are involved in.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Try this: http://www.oprah.com/own-enough-alre...Charity-Case_1

The whole program isn't online, only parts.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Let's face it--a lot of that fabric was donated for the QOV. How could she have turned it down tactfully? And then what is she to do with it, if it isn't something usable? I have some of that myself! It gets in the way but then it needs to be somewhere. Her quilting friends apparently were happy to come to her house, mess and all, but they didn't take it home with them either.

I hated to see her relegated to the garage. Pretty much a storeroom appearance and a garage door for one wall. How comfortable is that? She mentioned having had mice. Good thing the fabrics were enclosed. If they were going to put her stash in the garage, how about making the dining room into her sewing space? Do the kids come home to eat there all that often.

My mom loved volunteer work and craft projects so her house was never spotless. She was doing what she loved and one of them was not a perfectly kept house. Her motto--if you don't like my mess, go home and look at your own! I do believe I've inherited a bit of that attitude. It's my mess and I live here with it 24/7.

Was not impressed with the room created. Mom shouldn't be moved out of the house so the kids can move in. Whose house is it anyway?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Again guys. It was HER idea to move to the garage. I would not have made that choice but it is her house and she can choose to move to the garage if she wishes. Actually I don't think my husband would give up the garage for the cause. He would argue that I should stay in the house so he could park in the garage. To each their own.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I totally agree with you....I dislike it when my husband suggests that I clean up my quilt room. He wants to "Help me". He needs to go clean up his side of the garage.
Originally Posted by kwhite
Ladies we all know that if our family member came into our quilt world and said "let me help you organize" they would be met with a (most likely) vicious "I DONT NEED YOUR HELP" and would run for the hills. We mostly are very protective over our world. I know I am. Somtimes it takes a stranger to get through to us. And as for feeling embarrassed for her, she signed the release and knew what was going to happen. It was her idea to quilt in the garage room. i think the family did the right thing to make her see what impact her generousity had on them. Sometimes we lose sight and need a "Gibbs" to the back of the head.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I googled The Hoarder, and it came up, so you can watch selected episodes. I looked around for about 10 minutes on the A&E network (that is another option).
The show wasn't on A & E, but on Oprah's new network,
called OWN. It was different from the 'hoarder' show
that is on A & E. Since Oprah's network is so new (it took
the place of Discovery Health), she may not have the
programs on line yet.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM

I saw this also, but what I didn't understand was why she had so many finished quilts? Why didn't she have them sent off to Quilts of Valor? She would have really depleted the space taken up by them. I did think the military coming to help her out was a nice touch. I do agree with all of you...she was ganged up on when it was only an organizational problem. You must admit, 110 large bins full of fabric should be enough to get her through for awhile....then get more.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM

I'm on Direct TV - does anyone know what channel that OWN comes on? Can't find it on the Direct TV website. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Do you suppose this was an off-hand way to promote Quilts for Valor? I'm sure there are some who have not heard of the program.

How many finished quilts did she have? Maybe she was waiting to have a big enough shipment to make it cost-effective?? Just a thought.